Set time limits for individual apps - Not all screen time is created equal, so Family Link enables parents to set time limits for each individual app or game their kids have on their device.
Bonus screen time for the day - Parents love that they can set a daily screen time limit, but sometimes kids need just a few more minutes. Now, parents can grant more screen time directly from their own device.
Whether your children are younger or in their teens, the Family Link app lets you set digital ground rules to help guide them as they learn, play, and explore online. For children under 13 (or the applicable age of consent in your country), Family Link also lets you create a Google Account for your child that's like your account, with access to most Google services. You can:
Guide them to good content
• View their activity - Not all screen time is the same. Help your child make healthy decisions about what they do on their Android device, with activity reports showing how much time they’re spending on their favorite apps.
• Manage their apps - Handy notifications let you approve or block apps your child wants to download from the Google Play Store. You can also manage in-app purchases, and hide specific apps on their device.
• Feed their curiosity - It can be hard to figure out what apps are right for your child, so Family Link shows you teacher-recommended apps on Android that you can add directly to their device.
Keep an eye on screen time
• Set limits - It’s up to you to decide the right amount of screen time for your child. Family Link lets you set time limits and a bedtime for their supervised devices, so you can help them find a good balance.
• Lock their device - Whether it’s time to go play outside, have dinner, or just spend time together, you can remotely lock a supervised device whenever it’s time to take a break.
See where they are
• It’s helpful to be able to find your child when they’re on the go. You can use Family Link to help locate them as long as they’re carrying their Android devices.
• Family Link’s tools vary depending on your child’s device. See a list of compatible devices at families.google.com/familylink/setup
• While Family Link helps you manage your child's purchases and downloads from Google Play, they will not need approval to install app updates (including updates that expand permissions), apps you have previously approved, or apps that have been shared in Family Library. Parents should regularly review their child’s installed apps and app permissions in Family Link.
• You should carefully review the apps on your child’s supervised device and disable those you don’t want them to use. Note that you may not be able to disable some pre-installed apps.
• To see the location of your child or teen’s device, it must be powered on, recently active, and connected to the internet.
• Teacher-recommended apps are only available on Android devices in the US to parents of children of certain ages.
- December 26, 2018 Initial release
- June 13, 2019 New version 1.43.13811
- June 25, 2019 New version 1.44.13931
- August 16, 2019 New version 1.45.14150
- August 28, 2019 New version 1.47.14363
- September 04, 2019 New version 1.48.14507
- September 23, 2019 New version 1.49.14591
- October 02, 2019 New version 1.50.14699
- October 14, 2019 New version 1.51.14807
- November 04, 2019 New version 1.52.14915
- November 18, 2019 New version 1.53.15023
- December 09, 2019 New version 1.54.15134
- December 17, 2019 New version 1.55.15206
- January 28, 2020 New version 1.56.15608
- July 14, 2020 New version 1.65.16787