• Added support for Dark Mode
• Bug fixes and performance improvements
*30-DAY FREE TRIAL*
Download the free Songlines app today and take advantage of this amazing offer when you subscribe giving you access to the full archive from the very first issue. You’ll only be charged after the 30-day trial and can cancel your subscription anytime during this period.
Songlines was launched in 1999 and is the definitive magazine for world music – music that has its roots in all parts of the globe, from Mali to Mexico, India to Iraq. Whether this music is defined as traditional, contemporary, folk or fusion, Songlines is the only magazine to truly represent and embrace it. However, Songlines is not just about music, but about how the music fits into the landscape: it’s about politics, history and identity. Delivered in both print and digital formats, Songlines, through its extensive articles and reviews, is your essential and independent guide to a world of music and unique culture, whether you are starting on your journey of discovery or are already a seasoned fan.
Every new issue of Songlines includes an exclusive 15-track compilation CD featuring our editor's selection of ten tracks from the best new album releases, as well as a five-track guest playlist. These have included selections by Damon Albarn, Jon Snow, Philip Pullman, Andy Kershaw, Kate Bush, Robert Plant, Cerys Matthews and Pelé. Excerpts from each of these tracks can be streamed through the Songlines iPad/iPhone edition from the Jan/Feb 2013 issue (#89). Simply click the red play button on the album covers or review pages which will automatically open your web browser and stream the track (this is the same for video links). To return back to the edition, click your device's home button (the centre bottom button) twice in quick succession and the Songlines app icon will appear at the bottom of the screen. Select that, and the magazine will reload where you left it.
If you’re new to Songlines, explore our complete Aug/Sept 2014 issue (#102) for free. Features include an interview with Afrobeat pioneers Tony Allen & Orlando Julius, as they both celebrate 50-year careers with new albums. There is also an interview with Scottish author, avid music consumer and vinyl addict Ian Rankin, who speaks to Jo Frost (Songlines editor) about how he’s always willing to take a punt on new music, especially if there’s a good story behind it. Also featured in the trial issue: a feature on Israeli musician Idan Raichel and his collaboration with Malian musician Vieux Farka Touré; Malian jeli singer Kassé Mady Diabaté; and violinists Anna Phoebe and Jyotsna Srikanth. We also pick our Essential 10 Afrobeat albums that you must own, plus Chris Moss provides a Beginner’s Guide to salsa superstar Rubén Blades.
You can subscribe within the application for full access, which will give you the latest issue along with every edition from our archive. During your subscription you can sync back issues to your device. These will remain in place if your subscription expires, unless your device removes them (for example when running low on disk space). Re-downloading issues requires a current subscription.
Subscriptions are available within the app at the following prices:
£4.49 per month
£54.99 per year
In addition, please note the following standard features of auto-renewable iTunes subscriptions:
• Your payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase.
• Subscriptions will renew automatically unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period.
• Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period.
• You can manage your subscriptions and turn off auto-renewal by going to your Account Settings in iTunes after purchase.
• No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period.
and our terms of service here:
- August 13, 2015 Initial release
- October 03, 2015 New version 9.0.2
- January 20, 2016 New version 9.1.1
- November 17, 2016 New version 10.0.0
- December 01, 2016 New version 10.0.1
- June 14, 2019 New version 12.0.0
- October 28, 2019 New version 13.0.0