Minor bug fixed
Merriam-Webster’s Essential Learner’s English Dictionary is an indispensable guide to the words every English language learner needs to know.
• 54,000 words and phrases cover both U.S. and British English and their differences
• 78,000 usage examples show how words are used
• More than 15,000 idioms, verbal collocations, and commonly used phrases
Search and Input features:
• New! App extensions supported: quickly look-up words while reading in other apps (e.g. in Safari).
• The new Full text search feature allows you to look up words more efficiently.
∙ Enter a query into the input field and dictionary will automatically build a list of entries containing your query, increasing the probability of finding the right definition.
∙ Find precise word definitions containing a number of usage examples.
∙ Because Full text search supports the Morphology module and ‘Did you mean…?’ function, users can be sure that virtually all search queries can be found regardless of misspelling or incorrect word form.
• Easy copy-and-paste functions copy words to the clipboard to get definition.
• Contextual menu (Browsing, Morphology Module).
• Improved browsing capabilities through word list and Search History.
• List of similar words in case of misspelling.
• Wildcard Search if you are unsure of the exact word spelling. Use “?” and “*” symbols to replace the missing letters.
• Full linguistic information – with declension and conjugation tables – is included, making the dictionary a must-have for any language scholar of English.
• Search for anagrams.
• New! Native iOS 8 support.
• Enhanced customization options allow you to modify animated menus and choose background colors.
• Enlarge or reduce font size for your comfort.
• Favorites - to quickly access frequently searched words.
• Hyperlinks between articles and directions.
• Landscape-mode support.
• Fully iPad optimized interface.
• No Internet connection required: simply download the dictionary once and use it on your iPhone/iPad/iPod touch without any additional expense.
Merriam Webster joined the Open Dictionary API Alliance, a unique resource providing the access to premium dictionary content for all members of the Alliance. Join us at http://dictionary-api.org and enjoy the opportunity to enrich your apps with a high quality and trusted source of reference from the world’s famous publishers.
Merriam-Webster Inc. acquired the rights to revise and publish Noah Webster’s dictionaries in 1843. Since then, Merriam-Webster has maintained an ongoing commitment to innovation, scholarship, and love of language. Each Merriam-Webster dictionary is the product of extensive research and painstaking writing and editing conducted by the largest group of full-time lexicographers in North America. Today, the company continues as the leader in language reference publishing with bestselling reference books and electronic references, popular Web sites and a range of licensed products.
- July 29, 2014 Initial release
- September 20, 2014 New version 3.57.6
- September 27, 2014 Price decrease: $19.99 -> $13.99
- September 30, 2014 Price increase: $13.99 -> $19.99
- November 13, 2014 New version 3.57.90