- Some design improvements (Underworld map and menus scroll)
- Minor bug fixes (items and text)
*** #2nd Best Indie Game of 2014 on AppApes ***
*** Pocket Gamer BRONZE AWARD ***
Embark on a dangerous and exhilarating quest into the far reaches of the ancient Mayan civilization.
Create your own myth!
"Necklace of Skulls offers everything one could ask for in a gamebook." - App Apes (9.5/10)
“An enjoyable adventure with an interesting theme and sharp writing.”
- Touch Arcade (4/5 star)
"It's definitely an enjoyable and intriguing read." - Pocket Gamer (Bronze Award)
"It offers up choices at a steady pace so you always feel like a part of the branching storyline." - 148Apps (4/5 star)
"The game is interesting and a delightful combination of action game with book reading." - Mac Sources
"The primary strength of this game is the rich fantasy world it creates." - Storycade
"A fine entry that’s sure to grip fans of the genre." - 148Apps (4/5 star)
"Gorgeous animated illustrations." - Hardcore Gamer
"This is much more than just a gamebook ported over to mobile devices." - Fabled Lands
"The beautiful art work looks like a mix of Barcelona’s Gaudi style in architecture and Gaugain’s portraits of indigenous people." - PocketMeta
In this interactive novel known as a "gamebook", you will plunge into the strange, dreamlike wonders of Mayan myth. You will confront ghosts and gods, bargain for your life against wily demons and find allies and enemies among both the living and the dead. Even if you're brave enough to survive the dangers of the spirit-haunted western desert, you must still confront the wizard, "Necklace of Skulls", in a fight to the death for your very own soul.
This epic digital recreation of Dave Morris’s seminal adventure gamebook contains exciting new features, gameplay, artwork and music.
* Play as a warrior, huntress, wayfarer or sorceress.
* Multiple save slots: Play with different characters in up to three stories at once.
* Innovative combat system never before seen in a digital gamebook.
* Animated illustrations depicting scenes from the story.
* Rich, branching narrative that offers huge replay value.
* No dice: All the action is based on your skills and decisions.
* Full soundtrack and sound effects deliver a vibrant atmosphere.
A NEW FORM OF INTERACTIVE FICTION
A perilous expedition meets with disaster. The sole survivor returns with dreadful news: your twin brother is dead. You swear vengeance upon his killer, the terrifying demon-wizard known only as Necklace of Skulls - a quest that will take you to the edge of the known world and beyond.
Drawing heavily upon authentic Mayan history coupled with an engaging fantasy adventure narrative, this gamebook changes the definition of interactive fiction forever.
Originally part of renowned author and game designer Dave Morris’s celebrated Virtual Reality series of adventure gamebooks, Necklace of Skulls dispenses with dice rolling and luck, and instead puts your survival skills to the test in a lush and vibrant life-changing experience.
Necklace of Skulls has been recreated for touchscreen devices with all-new features including beautiful animated artwork from international award-winning graphic designer and illustrator Xavier Mula, save game options, an exclusive soundtrack and multiple characters to choose from.
Take a journey that you’ll never forget in Necklace of Skulls.
** WARNING **
Undesired performance may occur on iPad1 (or early iPhone/iPod generations) due to memory issues.
iPhone 4 may have minor resolution issues.
Having any problems? Any suggestions? We would love to hear from you! You can reach us at [email protected]
- October 23, 2014 Initial release
- November 14, 2014 New version 1.2
- November 22, 2014 New version 1.2.1
- December 18, 2014 Price decrease: $2.99 -> $0.99
- January 27, 2015 Price increase: $0.99 -> $2.99
- January 29, 2015 New version 1.2.2
- February 21, 2015 Price decrease: $2.99 -> $1.99
- May 03, 2015 Price increase: $1.99 -> $2.99
- June 22, 2015 New version 1.2.3
- June 22, 2015 Price decrease: $2.99 -> FREE!
- June 25, 2015 Price increase: FREE! -> $2.99
- July 02, 2015 Price increase: $2.99 -> $4.99
- August 28, 2015 Price decrease: $4.99 -> $3.99
- September 22, 2015 New version 1.2.4
- November 28, 2015 Price decrease: $3.99 -> $1.99
- December 01, 2015 Price increase: $1.99 -> $3.99
- November 26, 2016 Price decrease: $3.99 -> $2.99
- June 15, 2019 New version 1.3