This update eliminates several bugs and errors that our fantastic users helped us identify and diagnose. You can reach us at [email protected]
- Fixed a bug that resulted freezing or crashing in Journal events with photos.
- Fixed a bug where the most recently added species was not appearing at the end of very long lists.
- Fixed a bug that prevented a new event from being added when location services were unavailable (iPhone only).
- Corrected erroneous abundance data for 70 species.
National Geographic presents an innovative, beautiful, and interactive field guide to the birds of North America for all your Apple devices. Whether you are new to bird-watching or already an expert, this completely updated and redesigned app makes spotting, identifying, and understanding birds easier than ever before. From its detailed illustrations to its easy-to-use interface, this is the one-stop resource you need to identify and track every bird you see.
• The most comprehensive app on the market with 995 species.
• Robust search/sort/filter functionality—with real-time results—helps you locate species quickly and easily.
• Track all of your sightings in the My Journal section by adding location details, weather, photos, notes, and more with just the touch of a finger.
• Start your own life list, or peruse numerous lists compiled by National Geographic, including longest-distant migrants, endangered species, and species most likely to be spotted in regional hot-spots such as Cape Hattaras and Madera Canyon.
• Test your birding knowledge, and increase your identification skills, with custom-created quizzes, curated by experts at National Geographic.
• The Tool Kit feature contains all the essentials every birder needs—learn about birding ethics and must-have gear, as well as exclusive videos of bird vocalizations. A real-time newsfeed keeps users abreast of breaking news in the birding world.
• And so much more!
Each species is accompanied by gorgeous full-color illustrations—the trademark of our best-selling companion book, National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America— showing subspecies, juvenile birds, and seasonal plumage changes, as well as images of resting, roosting, swimming, and flying. Users can pinch and zoom to get a better view of the details. To make identification even easier, we’ve included field-mark annotations, which users can toggle off and on by tapping on the screen.
More than 800 up-to-date range maps show where birds can be seen in each season. In addition to winter and summer ranges, each map now features migration ranges and 40 subspecies range maps as well. Vivid color-coding and a drop-down map key make the smallest details crystal clear.
With its simple and smart navigation beautiful interface, and easy-to-use features, this app is sure to be a hit with every birder—from novice to expert!
**A School Library Journal Top App of 2013**
- November 30, 2012 New version 3.0
- December 13, 2012 New version 3.1
- January 18, 2013 Price increase: $9.99 -> $14.99
- February 01, 2013 Price decrease: $14.99 -> $9.99
- March 14, 2013 Price decrease: $9.99 -> $5.99
- March 19, 2013 New version 3.2
- March 28, 2013 Price increase: $5.99 -> $9.99
- May 02, 2013 Price decrease: $9.99 -> $1.99
- May 03, 2013 New version 3.3
- May 16, 2013 Price increase: $1.99 -> $9.99
- October 01, 2013 New version 3.4
- December 03, 2013 New version 3.5
- April 17, 2014 Price decrease: $9.99 -> $2.99
- April 27, 2014 Price increase: $2.99 -> $9.99