The classic (and brutal) first-person adventure series that is Shadowgate has amassed a pretty decent following over the years. More than decent, really, which is why zojoi has been in the process of rebooting it by way of an all-new re-imagined Shadowgate for Windows, Mac, Android, and of course iOS. And goodness gracious does it look pretty.
The new Shadowgate isn’t so much a port with improved visuals as a relaunch (hence all the “re-imagining” business). It will certainly include several nods to the originals such as familiar rooms and such, but it’s intended to be a whole new thing. A whole new thing with plenty of classically brutal puzzles and gameplay, an all-new orchestral soundtrack, a retro soundtrack for the nostalgia fiends, some very nice visuals, animations, and a whole lot more.
Keep an eye out for Shadowgate on the App Store later this summer.
- First Person Adventuring: Utilize your inventory, spell book, mapping system and on-screen commands to complete your quest
- Rooms: Tons of Beautifully illustrated rooms featuring both new and familiar locations, offering a new play experience
- Puzzles: Lots of new and updated puzzles that seamlessly expand on the original game
- Difficulty Levels: Three different difficulty levels that actually change the game play experience and puzzle structure
- Commands: Intuitive command-based UI allows you to interact extensively with the environments (includes features like key binds, command locking/unlocking, retractable/maximizable HUD, etc.)
- Storytelling: Features dramatic cut-scenes and all the same great storytelling you expect from a Shadowgate adventure
- Cinematic Score: A full, digitally-orchestrated, dynamic soundtrack by composer Rich Douglas
- 8-bit Score: A second retro soundtrack featuring Hiroyuki Masuno’s original NES composition
- Soundscapes: A complete atmospheric and puzzle-based sound design
- Achievements: Dozens of in-game and Steam-based achievements to find and unlock
- Animations: Environmental and object-specific animations and particles bring each location to life