Posted by Tre Lawrence on June 2nd, 2014 + Universal App - Designed for iPhone and iPad
Batovi Games is doing its part to help spread World Cup fever with its new iOS game Pixel Cup Soccer. The game sports a retro look and incorporates virtual controls for passing, running, and shooting. It comes in two flavors: free and paid.
The paid version (the Cup Edition) has 16 international teams, and players can play friendlies, compete for the “Pixel Cup” and (on only iPad) can play local multiplayer. It also has leaderboards and Facebook functionality. The free version (Crush Brazil Maracanazo Edition) allows folks to relive the 1950 World Cup, in which Uruguay upset host Brazil in the penultimate game of the 4-team final. In this version, gameplay is based upon scoring to add time to the game clock.
Pixel Cup Soccer is available for $1.99 on the App Store.
The classic (and brutal) first-person adventure series that is Shadowgate has amassed a pretty decent following over the years. More than decent, really, which is why zojoi has been in the process of rebooting it by way of an all-new re-imagined Shadowgate for Windows, Mac, Android, and of course iOS. And goodness gracious does it look pretty.
The new Shadowgate isn’t so much a port with improved visuals as a relaunch (hence all the “re-imagining” business). It will certainly include several nods to the originals such as familiar rooms and such, but it’s intended to be a whole new thing. A whole new thing with plenty of classically brutal puzzles and gameplay, an all-new orchestral soundtrack, a retro soundtrack for the nostalgia fiends, some very nice visuals, animations, and a whole lot more.
Keep an eye out for Shadowgate on the App Store later this summer.
- First Person Adventuring: Utilize your inventory, spell book, mapping system and on-screen commands to complete your quest
- Rooms: Tons of Beautifully illustrated rooms featuring both new and familiar locations, offering a new play experience
- Puzzles: Lots of new and updated puzzles that seamlessly expand on the original game
- Difficulty Levels: Three different difficulty levels that actually change the game play experience and puzzle structure
- Commands: Intuitive command-based UI allows you to interact extensively with the environments (includes features like key binds, command locking/unlocking, retractable/maximizable HUD, etc.)
- Storytelling: Features dramatic cut-scenes and all the same great storytelling you expect from a Shadowgate adventure
- Cinematic Score: A full, digitally-orchestrated, dynamic soundtrack by composer Rich Douglas
- 8-bit Score: A second retro soundtrack featuring Hiroyuki Masuno’s original NES composition
- Soundscapes: A complete atmospheric and puzzle-based sound design
- Achievements: Dozens of in-game and Steam-based achievements to find and unlock
- Animations: Environmental and object-specific animations and particles bring each location to life
Bearded Man Studios, the three-person development house, has announced the upcoming release of its second iOS game, named Warp 5 Overdrive.
According to Lead Artist and Co-founder Andrew Briare, the game is “a super hard endless runner type game with nods to 80s arcade shooters that takes place in a contained 3D environment. A player controls an auto-firing ship (made of cubes) that rotates around a cylinder all while dodging various obstacles and enemies in a one hit kill environment.”
“The goal of the game is to travel as many lightyears as possible,” Briare goes on to say, “After a player’s ship is destroyed, a global leaderboard is shown that tracks the top “voyagers” of Warp 5 Overdrive and the player’s overall rank. Players can use the default ship or create their own ship with our Ship Creator.”
Warp 5 Overdrive is due on the App Store March 18.
DotEmu has announced the imminent arrival of its new game called Little Big Adventure, which is due out later this month.
As with a lot of DotEmu games, this is a port of the iconic retro game of the same name. It chronicles the story of Twinsen, who is locked up for dreaming his way to finding out about future events; escaping lockup is the backdrop story. According to the publisher’s release, there will be plenty of dialogue, puzzles, and characters.
Little Big Adventure will be coming to the App Store on March 27.
Posted January 31st, 2014 by Arron Hirst Our Rating: :: MUTATIONS ABOUND
Gene's use of physical mutation to control a player's abilities is a refreshing touch, while its throw-back visual art-style will likely see the average platformer fan satisfied, but the way in which mutations are implemented might become irritating to some.