This version includes updated support for Big Sur and addresses a couple of graphic issues.
Quincy is a musical explorer of Life, a cellular automaton created by J.H.Conway. Conway’s Game Of Life has long been of great interest to musicians specifically as a pattern generator. Quincy is a full implementation of Life, capable of generating all possible variations, the common B3/S23 as well as others like HighLife or Seeds. It is document-based and features adjustable grid size, random cell insertion and more. Quincy comes with a large library of patterns, a color mixer for a document’s color set and many display options. Editing tools beyond pen and pattern stamp also include options like copy, paste and rotate.
One of the design decisions made early on in development was to implement sound generators in a modular approach. This ensures extensibility for future versions, but also has a more immediate effect. Each module has a distinct flavor while at the same time delivering an infinite number of variations. That allows the composer to chose a general color or direction to begin with and then work their way down from the top with scale choice, tonality and rhythm or voice considerations.
Quincy currently ships with 13 sound modules with more to come. Each module uses its own algorithm to create sound but also defines meter, key and a base scale as tone material. The Chroma module for example is geared towards atonal music with several symmetric and chromatic scales. The Gregorian module employs church modes and the Pentrix module offers 27 types of pentatonic scales. To get you started right away we included a large selection of sample documents that demonstrate each of these module's individual flavors and capabilities.
With an extended General MIDI sound library of over 200 individual sounds to select from Quincy offers a lot right out of the box. In addition to that Quincy implements virtual MIDI with very low latency to allow integration into DAWs like Ableton Live, Logic X, Reason and many more. Other settings include local audio control and selectable MIDI channel. All documents that Quincy creates are freely interchangeable with the iOS versions Quincy and Quincy Lite which are available on the iPhone App Store for a modest fee.
Quincy renders stunning visuals, produces the craziest looking metronomes, very atmospheric soundscapes and strange rhythmic patterns that have many uses in music production. To learn more about Quincy and for more screenshots and videos of the application in action, please visit our website. There you can also find links to the complete online documentation. Finally we made a playlist with excerpts of the latest 10 module sample docs on SoundCloud. You can take a listen here: http://bit.ly/1MjPv5W
- Intuitive interface
- 13 sound generating modules
- Adjustable grid size
- Document based
- Full general MIDI instrument library
- Large pattern library
- Virtual MIDI
- Extensive documentation
- Ready for Retina®
- Discount for Educational Institutions
App Support: We cannot respond to comments and feedback on the App Store. If you face any issues with Quincy, please email them to [email protected] We assure you it will be taken care of immediately.
For news, updates, promos and more, follow us @rogamesw on Twitter.
- September 16, 2015 Initial release
- October 03, 2015 Price decrease: $31.99 -> $24.99
- October 17, 2015 Price decrease: $24.99 -> $9.99
- November 14, 2015 Price increase: $9.99 -> $14.99
- November 28, 2015 Price decrease: $14.99 -> $9.99
- December 01, 2015 Price increase: $9.99 -> $14.99
- December 05, 2015 Price increase: $14.99 -> $19.99
- December 21, 2015 Price decrease: $19.99 -> $14.99
- January 02, 2016 Price increase: $14.99 -> $19.99
- February 27, 2016 Price decrease: $19.99 -> $8.99
- February 29, 2016 Price increase: $8.99 -> $19.99
- March 21, 2016 New version 1.0.3
- March 21, 2016 Price increase: $19.99 -> $24.99
- March 25, 2016 New version 1.0.4
- June 29, 2016 Price decrease: $24.99 -> $14.99
- July 08, 2016 Price increase: $14.99 -> $24.99
- November 02, 2016 Price decrease: $24.99 -> $19.99
- November 09, 2016 Price decrease: $19.99 -> $9.99
- November 14, 2016 New version 1.0.5
- November 14, 2016 Price increase: $9.99 -> $19.99
- November 26, 2016 Price decrease: $19.99 -> $9.99
- December 02, 2016 Price increase: $9.99 -> $19.99
- June 14, 2019 New version 1.0.8
- June 14, 2019 Price decrease: $19.99 -> $9.99
- June 16, 2019 Price decrease: $19.99 -> $9.99
- July 14, 2020 New version 1.1.0
- October 05, 2021 New version 1.6.2
- October 05, 2021 Price increase: $9.99 -> $23.99