[Haven't quite decided if you want to give Fallout Shelter a try? Check our review to see what we made of it.]
Fallout 4 will be here by the end of the year and you’ll probably be in dire need of a Fallout fix before then. Fallout Shelter might well be what you’re after, even if it is more like a freemium sim than a true Fallout. Here are some general tips and tricks on how to establish the best vault.
- Remember the importance of resource gathering - You need power, food, and water in equal measures. Make sure that the first thing you do is place those rooms down, along with sticking at least one dweller in each of those rooms. More is good, though, as it means resources can be gathered faster.
- Plan accordingly - You want to combine like-rooms where possible, so think ahead when placing things. This is done by building matching rooms next to each other so that they end up wider and more productive. It uses up more electricity but it does mean that these rooms are cheaper to upgrade.
- Each dweller has a specific strength or trait - These are related to Charisma, Strength, Agility, Perception, Intelligence, and Luck. Take advantage of these skills by placing dwellers in a building that requires such skills. The diner, for instance, is best for an agile worker. Drag them over to the room, and if the green number changes to 2 or more you know they’re going to be a good fit.
- Send dwellers out to explore the Wasteland often, but make sure they’re well equipped - It’s very dangerous out there, and while the rewards are great, you want to be careful. Remember to call them back frequently, and certainly as soon as they find some loot. If they die with loot, you lose it.
- Focus on completing as many achievements as possible - This is a great way to earn caps and you’ll be completing tasks that need doing anyhow. You might even be able to earn a lunchbox or two!
- Upgrade the vault door as soon as possible - It’ll help reduce the chance of raiders or scorpions wiping out your dwellers. They’re pretty vulnerable in there, after all. And a stronger door will hold attackers off for longer, giving you more time to place a couple of well-armed dwellers at the entrance to meet them.
- Rush building productions where the accident risk is relatively low - Sure it can all go wrong, but there are extra caps and resources to be gained this way!
- Have kids - Ok, the world has ended - kind of - but you need to keep going, right? Put male and female dwellers in the same living quarters. If their charisma levels are high and similar, you’ll soon have baby dwellers. The little dwellers are quick to grow up too, which is convenient.