• Optimized for iOS 9
• Add your own products & edit existing ones
Highlights from V 3:
• Improved search experience, hits are now highlighted & much faster
• Hundreds of new product updates to the database
• Countless small stability optimizations
• Fully accessible through VoiceOver
Do you watch your carbohydrates, but always need to calculate which products and in what sizes can be eaten? Does it get tiresome at times? No more!
Bread unit points help to easily compare very different food types regardless of their weight and are therefore ideal for making quick decisions on what is recommendable to eat.
Bread units (BU’s) were originally developed for diabetics, but they will help anyone interested in a quick way to determine low-carb food choices and greatly simplify the process of comparing carbs across food choices!
→ Bread units are calculated like this:
1 Bread Unit (BU) = 12 g of carbohydrates
This app’s list assists in calculating BU’s for a wide range of foods which you may not have the data for at hand (basic food & produce, supermarket products as well as restaurant menu items).
≡ HOW IT IS DONE ≡
A BU table is used for food comparison and product substitution.
160 g of fresh strawberries and 25 g of French fries from a large fast food company (roughly half the size of a small portion) contain the exact same amount of carbohydrates, that is 12 g or exactly 1 bread unit (BU).
The current scientific recommendation for low-carb diets is to consume 6-8 BU’s per day (= 72-96 g of carbohydrates).
Using bread units, you now have a great way to compare two completely different types of food to each other and measure the impact that different serving sizes have on your diet since both choices will subtract exactly 1 BU from your daily limit.
≡ MORE CHOICE = BETTER TASTE ≡
With this BU calculator, choice and variety for diabetics increases greatly without much of the usual effort at tabulating data.
Portions / Serving sizes for individual foods can be adjusted and the app immediately re-calculates the correct BU values.
Additional calorie info is provided if energy consumption is important to you.
The app contains a filter system which helps to find foods with a "perfect fit":
Simply define lower / upper limits and it will return matching products.
For example, this helps to find all items with less than 0.5 BU’s if that is all you have left for your day.
Discover food choices you never knew you had, increase variety and prepare meals depending on mood, liking and personal taste again!
All food data is given for 100 g, but for an increasing number of items (like restaurant menus) exact portion sizes are already available.
If you want to know more about BU’s and the medical background, have a look at the book “Life without bread” by Christian Allan (Ph.D.) & Wolfgang Lutz (M.D.).
- December 19, 2013 Initial release
- February 12, 2014 New version 1.0.1
- March 23, 2014 Price decrease: $2.99 -> $1.99
- April 03, 2014 Price increase: $1.99 -> $2.99
- September 17, 2014 New version 2.0.5
- November 03, 2014 New version 2.0.7
- November 06, 2014 New version 2.0.9
- January 08, 2015 New version 2.1.1
- February 17, 2015 Price increase: $2.99 -> $3.99
- March 08, 2015 New version 2.2
- March 18, 2015 New version 2.2.1
- May 20, 2015 New version 2.2.2
- August 01, 2015 New version 3.0.3
- September 04, 2015 New version 3.0.5