App Description* * DESIGNED FOR USE ON PHONES. The experience of using the camera in this app is best for young children on phone-sized devices. * *
Big Bird knows something special that he wants to share with your child: Words are all around you! And he’s made a wonderful Word-o-Scope to help you look for them in the real world – right on your mobile phone!
The educational team at Sesame Street created Big Bird’s Words especially for little learners, to help build and expand their vocabulary. It’s all about getting kids excited about learning to recognize and read written text, as they use Big Bird’s scope to look for a special group of high-interest, themed words.
Big Bird’s word-o-scope recognizes all kinds of printed words IN THE REAL-WORLD ENVIRONMENT, using your phone’s own camera and exciting new augmented-reality tech.
Use it in your home with foods in your pantry or fridge, recipes in cookbooks, and the free emailable word labels provided.
Or take it on the road! The scope works with all kinds of labels on foods at your grocery store. Look for words with letters in the same color, in a straight line and on a flat surface for the very best results.
When kids focus on a word, they can hear Big Bird recognize and read MORE THAN 500 FOOD WORDS. Plus, the scope knows when your child has found thousands of other printed words, too. When kids spot a word that’s not the one they’ve picked, Big Bird offers cheerful encouragement to keep kids on the hunt and focused on the goal. Silly sound effects and Big Bird’s word trivia make the learning fun!
Big Bird’s Words helps children scan for words in the real world anywhere your family happens to be…at home or on-the-go!
• Eye-Spy game lets kids build the word list
* Customize the experience – kids choose which word to load in the scope
• Word-o-Scope uses your phone’s own camera to read words
• Big Bird reads hundreds of food words as kids find them
• The app recognizes words IN THE REAL WORLD
• Free emailable word labels (with fun game ideas!) ensure goal words are handy
LEARNING IN THIS APP
• Helps to build vocabulary
• Encourages excitement about reading
• Fosters association of pictures and real-world objects with written text
• Rewards task persistence
Let us know what kinds of new word packs YOU would like to see. Your input is so important to us:
January 29, 2014 Price Decrease: $1.99 -> $0.99
January 29, 2014 New version 1.1
November 21, 2013 Initial Release