- Ability to insert bigger photos and handle larger documents
- More formatting options (bold, italics, underline) & better PDF generator
- Improved grammar correction and analysis in word prediction
Trusted by thousands of schools worldwide, Spell Better delivers effective and empowering assistive tools for struggling writers with dyslexia. With powerful word prediction, advanced text-to-speech, and dyslexic spell checking, it offers just the right support for lasting improvements in writing success.
Special Educators feel a palpable improvement in the energy and tenor of a classroom while using Spell Better with their learners.
- Helps reluctant and struggling writers get started
- Increases length and depth of writing
- Strengthens organization and composition skills
- Builds confidence and improves self-expression
- Leaves lasting improvements in core spelling and grammar skills
- Word prediction & auto-completion
- Context and phonetic spell checker
- Text-to-Speech with word highlighting
- Fonts optimized for Dyslexia
- Integrated English dictionary (with IPA symbols)
- Audio pronunciation for all words
- Color-coded Keyboard (Vowels vs. Consonants)
- Insert photos and use rich text formatting (bold, italics, underline)
- Three different vocabulary size settings
- Easily and quickly learns new custom vocabulary
- Customize background colors and text size
- Export as PDF, Email, Printing, Messages, Clipboard and more.
- Dedicated Undo/Redo buttons for accidental deletes
- Accepts both taps and swipes on word prediction buttons
- VoiceOver support with detailed labels and hints
- Integrated Speech Recognition (speech-to-text)
SPELL CHECK EXAMPLES
- Real-word spelling errors ("peace" → "piece")
- Phonetic spelling erorrs ("preshius" → "precious", "peturs" → "pictures")
- Word boundary errors ("verynice" → "very nice")
- Skipped and repeated letters ("probley" → "probably")
- Missed vowels ("Ths is rly amzng" → "This is really amazing")
- Homophone substitutions and other complex orthographic errors
Spell Better will take this sentence:
→ I throwed the dall to my cuzin and wnt imside to ahve a peace ofcake.
And correct it to:
→ I threw the ball to my cousin and went inside to have a piece of cake.
And it'll do most of the corrections dynamically, as the sentence is being typed.
"Multiple students of mine are now requesting that I bring my iPad to class so they can use this app to complete all of their assignments. These students are generally disengaged and tend to avoid all work requiring them to write/ organize their thoughts and it is so exciting to see how much their enthusiasm increases when given supports such as SpellBetter."
"We did have a chance to try Spell Better and love it! The update came out just in time for our full day iPads in Special Education training we gave yesterday so that we were able to let others know about what a great app it is for word prediction. "
"This is brilliant for my dyslexic pupils and others who struggle to write. It's really useful for homework, too. Great communications with Nanavit [sic] have ironed out my inadequate ability with any ICT! A superb App, thank you!"
Spell Better is currently featured by Apple in the Special Education section of the App Store. It is widely used in schools throughout the US, UK, Australia, and New Zealand.
Spell Better has been featured and recommended by:
- Apple (App Store > Education > Special Education)
- The University of Michigan, Center for the Development of Language & Literacy (dyslexiahelp.umich.edu)
- Pennsylvania Department of Education, Intermediate Unit 5
- Minnesota Department of Education, Intermediate District 287
- National Disability Coordination Officer Program (NDCO), Australian Government
VOLUME PURCHASE PROGRAM (VPP)
Spell Better VPP is compatible with Apple's Volume Purchase Program for Education and does not contain any in-app purchases or other restrictions.
- June 11, 2014 Initial release
- June 15, 2014 New version 2.5
- July 25, 2014 New version 3.0
- July 25, 2014 New version 3.1
- September 13, 2014 New version 3.2
- October 23, 2014 New version 3.3
- November 13, 2014 New version 3.4
- November 18, 2014 Price increase: $9.99 -> $39.99
- November 21, 2014 Price increase: $39.99 -> $69.99
- November 22, 2014 Price decrease: $69.99 -> $9.99
- January 27, 2015 Price increase: $9.99 -> $24.99
- May 12, 2015 Price increase: $24.99 -> $44.99
- May 18, 2015 Price increase: $44.99 -> $49.99
- August 11, 2015 Price increase: $49.99 -> $74.99
- August 11, 2015 Price decrease: $74.99 -> $49.99
- August 20, 2015 Price decrease: $49.99 -> $24.99
- November 14, 2015 Price decrease: $24.99 -> $9.99
- November 18, 2015 Price decrease: $9.99 -> $4.99