What's NewCovers all of Africa
New animal lists, including marine mammals
New twitter feed
Enhanced help menu
Dynamic Q&A - you ask a question, we'll go find the answer.
App DescriptionAfrica: Live helps you share and enjoy real-time African animal sightings on your iPhone or iPad.
Our live game sightings map shows you what animals are near you right now and allows you to easily and immediately share your sightings with other safari-goers or anyone “watching” the map around the world, as well as for use in conservation research.
Africa is big, animals are relatively small and have got pretty good at hiding. Evolution has taken care of that. Our Africa: Live map shows you the most recent game sightings that have been reported in the last 12 hours by other safari-goers and professional guides via social media or added to the map directly. It helps you get the most out of your safari by increasing the chances of finding those animals you are most interested in.
You can also easily add your own sightings and photos directly and immediately to the map, or from your own social media account (which will be published on the map, usually within 10 minutes).
The app includes extensive reference material such as an safari animal field guide and tips on how to get the most out of your safari.
- The ONLY live map of Africa showing your location and the location of recent sightings.
- Clickable, colour-coded markers showing sighting details, descriptions and a photo.
- Double-tap to add a sighting to the map yourself, including uploading your own photo. NOTE: because of poaching issues, RHINO SIGHTINGS WILL NOT APPEAR ON THE MAP.
- Live social media stream of other relevant and interesting sightings and just one-touch to add posts from your own social media account.
- Extensive reference material, photos and interesting facts on the animals you’re likely to see on safari.
- Dynamic Q&A. If you're not sure what it is you're looking at, or what it is doing just ask us via the map and we'll answer (or if we can't, our Facebook friends will!).
- Safari tips, contact details and lots more useful information.
- Contribute to our citizen-scientist research database: we catalogue, analyse and will share sightings data with conservation bodies to support wildlife audits.
- A desktop version of the map can be viewed www.wildafricalive.com. However performance of the desktop version of this map will be highly limited on a mobile device.
- The map and social media stream require phone network coverage to be updated, although sightings can now be recorded with no phone network then these will automatically be uploaded later.
June 12, 2013 New version 2.2
January 17, 2013 New version 2.1
January 01, 2013 Price Decrease: $9.99 -> FREE!
December 28, 2012 New version 1.5
December 11, 2012 New version 1.4
October 03, 2012 Initial Release