* Pythonista is now compatible with all iOS screen sizes -- from iPhone 4 to iPad Pro, and everything in-between.
* For larger projects, you can now use multiple editor tabs to switch between related files more quickly.
* The Pythonista app extension allows you to run Python scripts within other apps, using the standard iOS share sheet.
* New and refined color themes are available in the settings; selecting a different theme now changes the entire app's UI instead of just syntax highlighting.
* Additional templates are available in the improved "new file" menu. You can also import photos from your camera roll as image files there.
* The console's interactive prompt is now syntax-highlighted, and provides better support for Bluetooth keyboards (you can use the up/down keys to navigate the command history).
* You can now read the (pure Python) source code of the included standard library (and third-party modules) directly in the app. Simply enable the "Show Standard Library" setting if you're interested in looking "under the hood".
* The UI editor contains a much improved inspector panel, undo/redo support, the possibility to set custom attributes, and a lot of other refinements.
* The new traceback navigator allows you to get a lot more information about errors in your programs. When an exception occurs, a brief summary is shown at the top of the screen, and the line where the exception occurred is highlighted in the editor. By tapping on the exception summary, you can navigate the entire traceback, even if the source of the exception is in a different file. You can also tap the `<...` marker in the editor to inspect variable values in the selected stack frame.
* The editor actions ("wrench") menu has been improved significantly. You can now assign custom icons and colors to your script shortcuts. It's also possible to invoke the standard iOS share sheet from the actions menu. If you have an iPhone 6s or 6s Plus (with 3D Touch), you can launch shortcuts directly from the homescreen by pressing the Pythonista icon.
* The improved asset picker (`[+]` button) contains more free image and sound effect collections that can be used with the `scene`, `ui`, and `sound` modules. The UI for opening the asset picker is also consistent between iPad and iPhone now.
* When the cursor is inside a color string (e.g. '#ff0000' or 'red') or built-in image name, a preview overlay is shown automatically. You can also tap the preview overlay to select a different color or image.
* The new *Highlight All* option in the copy/paste menu allows you to quickly find all occurrences of a word (e.g. variable name), without typing anything in the search bar.
* You can adjust the indentation of a selected block of code more easily with the new `⇥ Indent` menu items (in the copy/paste menu).
* iPad only: The extended keyboard has a more compact layout by default. If you prefer a larger keyboard with an additional number row, you can enable this in the settings.
* The completely revamped `scene` module gives you a lot more possibilities for building 2D games and animations in Pythonista. You can even use custom OpenGL fragment shaders. Lots of new sample code and a tutorial for building a simple game are available in the included *Examples* folder.
Pythonista brings the Zen of Python™ to your iPad or iPhone.
Pythonista is an integrated development environment for writing Python™ scripts on iOS. You can create interactive experiments and prototypes using multi-touch, animations, and sound – or just use the interactive prompt as a powerful calculator.
With extensive support for URL schemes, access to the iOS clipboard and photo library, and the powerful modules in the Python standard library, it is also possible to use Pythonista as a flexible automation tool for text or image processing. You can even run Python scripts within other apps, using the Pythonista app extension that is accessible from the standard iOS share sheet.
>>> Full-featured, scriptable code editor with syntax highlighting and code completion
>>> Extended keyboard, designed specifically for Python
>>> Interactive prompt with code completion and history
>>> Complete offline documentation with quick lookup directly from the editor
>>> Multiple light and dark color themes
>>> Visual UI editor for quick prototyping
>>> Includes most of the Python standard library and additional modules for graphics, sound, and iOS system services (e.g. clipboard, contacts, reminders, twitter, UI...)
>>> Matplotlib and NumPy for scientific visualizations
>>> Lots of other popular third-party modules, e.g. requests, BeautifulSoup, Flask, bottle, SymPy, and more.
>>> Lots of included examples to get started
>>> Universal app for iPad and iPhone
Based on Python 2.7.5; the name "Pythonista" is used with kind permission of the Python Software Foundation.
- July 12, 2013 Initial release
- July 16, 2013 Price increase: $0.99 -> $6.99
- November 26, 2013 New version 1.4
- June 28, 2014 New version 1.5
- January 12, 2016 New version 2.0
- January 12, 2016 Price increase: $6.99 -> $9.99