• We have added support for Split View and Slide Over multitasking and you can now search for your Favourites entries via Spotlight Search (iOS 9 and compatible devices only).
• OALD9 is now compatible with Apple Watch – you can look up words, open entries, listen to headword audio, and there is a Word of the Day feature. Please note that you need to have the full OALD9 dictionary installed.
• We have also fixed some bugs and made some other general improvements.
• All your Favourites and any downloaded example sentences will be preserved when you update.
100 SAMPLE ENTRIES ONLY. This free download gives you 100 sample entries from the new OALD 9th edition. You will not be able to cross-refer from these entries to other words that are in the full dictionary. To have access to the full dictionary with all features you will need to buy it via in-app purchase. *All existing users of the OALD8 app can also re-download OALD8 from the Catalogue tab to continue using it for free.*
IMPORTANT: the price you will pay for the OALD9 in-app purchase will depend on whether you are a new user of OALD or whether you are an existing user (someone who previously bought the OALD8 app).
If you are a new user, you will pay the full price for OALD9.
If you are an existing user, you can upgrade to OALD9 for a discount.
Please contact us at [email protected] if you have any queries or require any assistance with the OALD app.
Over 100 million English language learners have used Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary (OALD) to develop their English skills for work and study.
Use OALD to understand what words mean, learn how to say them, and know how to use them.
With the OALD app you can:
• find over 185,000 words, phrases, and meanings - including 900 new words and meanings.
• trust the clear explanations and example sentences from the authoritative Oxford English Corpus.
Improve your pronunciation and get added listening practice
• Listen to real voice audio for words and example sentences, in both British and American English accents
• Access the high-quality audio online, or download over 116,000 sentences to listen offline
• Practise your pronunciation by listening to the audio, recording your own voice and playing it back to compare
Expand your vocabulary and produce more natural sounding English
• Learn synonyms, collocations (words which go together) and everyday expressions
• Learn the Oxford 3000 - the most important words to know in English
• Use colour illustrations to enrich your vocabulary
• Search for and study phrasal verbs and idioms
• Learn lists of related vocabulary with pre-loaded Favourites folders
Navigate quickly to find exactly what you want
• Use Full Text Search to find your word in any idiom, phrasal verb, or example sentence in the dictionary
• Tap any word in an entry to instantly look it up
• Look up words directly from many popular apps, such as Safari
Organise and personalize your favourite entries
• create lists of your Favourites, and create folders and subfolders to store them
• export your Favourite lists and History list
- June 13, 2014 Initial release
- July 25, 2014 New version 1.5
- October 14, 2014 New version 1.6
- December 01, 2014 Price decrease: $30.99 -> $15.99
- December 03, 2014 Price increase: $15.99 -> $30.99
- January 04, 2015 Price increase: $30.99 -> $32.99
- January 05, 2015 New version 1.6.1
- January 27, 2015 Price decrease: $32.99 -> $29.99
- April 16, 2015 Price decrease: $29.99 -> $20.99
- May 04, 2015 Price increase: $20.99 -> $29.99
- June 04, 2015 New version 1.7
- December 07, 2015 New version 2.0.2
- December 07, 2015 Price decrease: $29.99 -> FREE!
- March 17, 2016 New version 2.1