- changed the way punch levels work, you'll hate me for it I promise.
- made the game harder, try not to cry.
- made "refuse food" harder too, but you'll get an extra surprise at the end if you can complete it.
- added new messages of "encouragement".
- are those thieves over there?
Have to survive. The war's not over.
The Ensign is a prequel to the viral #1 hit: A Dark Room.
This game is extremely difficult. Brutally difficult. Throw your device across the room difficult. You have been warned, human. Death awaits.
"The Ensign is a fantastically weird and wonderful RPG that has plenty going for it, but only if you have the time and patience to peel away the multiple layers. 4.5 out of 5 stars" - 148Apps
"The Ensign will create dedicated players as you’ll overcome the frustration with confidence, which in turn will lead to longer gameplay sessions. The Ensign is truly a game of its own, carrying much of the same qualities of A Dark Room which allowed this simple text-based game to be enjoyable. 8.5 out of 10 stars" - Game Mob
"Like A Dark Room, The Ensign is difficult to talk about without spoiling the sense of discovery as you unlock its secrets, but what I can do is tell you that the longer you play it, and the farther you get, the more impressive the world building becomes. It takes what seems like a fairly straight-forward objective (find this thing, try not to die) and then slowly unfolds its narrative and choices around you in surprising ways. 5 out of 5 stars" - JayIsGames
"It is full of revelations about the player character and the world it inhabits and, as such, becomes impossible to discuss at length without trading in awe-sapping spoilers." - Pocket Tactics
"The Ensign is also a game of discovery—this is clearest when exploring the ASCII-based map steadily, a step at a time, praying for an abandoned house to relieve your struggle. The difference between it and A Dark Room is that it's marked by two of the core tenets of games like Dark Souls: solitude and desperation." - Kill Screen
- August 18, 2014 Initial release
- September 13, 2014 New version 1.33
- October 04, 2014 New version 1.35
- October 17, 2014 New version 1.37
- November 15, 2014 Price increase: $0.99 -> $1.99
- November 17, 2014 Price decrease: $1.99 -> $0.99
- March 02, 2015 New version 1.39
- April 14, 2015 New version 1.40
- May 05, 2015 Price decrease: $0.99 -> FREE!
- May 07, 2015 Price increase: FREE! -> $0.99
- May 30, 2015 Price increase: $0.99 -> $1.99
- July 25, 2015 New version 1.45
- July 27, 2015 Price decrease: $1.99 -> $0.99