- Updated content from the second edition of Pevsners Architectural Glossary
- Optimised for latest versions of iOS
- Updated branding
- Various bug fixes
Look up architectural terms anywhere with Pevsner’s vocabulary in your pocket…
From abacus to zigzag via dosseret, hoodmould and squinch, this explanatory glossary draws on the architectural vocabulary of the Buildings of England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland series. Beginners will find that familiarity with the names quickly helps them understand the similarities and differences between the buildings and styles they see.
At the same time, the breadth of the fields covered will be useful even to experts. This clear and practical resource offers a dynamic and innovative way to engage with architecture and the Pevsner lexicon that will enliven any architectural exploration.
Feature of the app include:
• Definitions of more than a thousand architectural terms
• Choice of search methods
• Clear explanatory line drawings
• Superb colour images supporting definitions
• Map locations for individual buildings
• Linked cross references and bookmarks
• Audio pronunciation feature for all terms
About Pevsner Guides
The Pevsner Architectural Guides were begun in 1951 by the architectural historian Sir Nikolaus Pevsner (1902–83) with the aim of providing an up-to-date portable guide to the most significant buildings in every part of the country, suitable for both general reader and specialist. The success of titles comprising The Buildings of England led to the extension of the series to Ireland, Scotland and Wales. There is an on-going programme of revision and updating with new volumes published every year. Each book provides an introductory overview of the architecture of the area, followed by a descriptive gazetteer arranged alphabetically by place. While cathedrals and their furnishings, great country houses and their parks form the grand set pieces, the books demonstrate the enjoyable diversity of architecture in the British Isles in accounts of rural churches and farmsteads, Victorian public buildings and industrial monuments.
For more information visit http://yalebooks.co.uk/pevsner.asp
- March 20, 2013 Initial release
- February 14, 2014 Price decrease: $4.99 -> $0.99
- February 17, 2014 Price increase: $0.99 -> $4.99
- December 20, 2016 New version 1.1