With iOS 11, Sky Guide 6.5 adds an exciting new feature: augmented reality! You’ve been so patient and Sky Guide AR is here, at last!
+ iOS 11
+ iPhone 6s and later or iPad Pro and later (includes 2017 iPad)
Finding stars, constellations and planets is easier than ever thanks to augmented reality. To activate it, first tap the center compass button to turn motion on. You will then see a new camera button appear which toggles AR mode.
Some tips for getting the best results from AR mode:
Augmented reality mode works great under a blue, daytime sky, but it has also been designed to function under a twilight and even nighttime sky. When your surroundings are very dark, you may notice some ghost-like trails behind moving objects. This is normal behavior due to the longer camera exposures needed.
Sky Guide automatically tries to adjust the blending of the augmented reality constellations with your real sky but if the constellations are not appearing quite right (if they appear noisy or patchy), you can use a two-finger up/down gesture to fine-tune the blending point.
Sometimes real objects and their corresponding augmented objects are not perfectly aligned. We first recommend giving the compass a few moments to settle in. If things are still not lined up, use a touch and hold gesture to activate the Compass Correction option. Then drag left or right to offset the augmented object until it is aligned with the real object. Sky Guide will retain this offset preference for your current session.
Also in this release, for those with a new iPad Pro: Sky Guide now supports 120 frames per second (requires iOS 11).
A star app has never been more beautiful and easy to use. Just hold it to the sky to automatically find constellations, planets, satellites and more. It’s stargazing fun for all ages and experience levels!
Is it a star or the planet Mars? Knowing what's up in your night sky is now effortless with Sky Guide. Hold your iPhone or iPad up and Sky Guide automatically aligns itself to the stars above you—no setup required!
Have you ever wished you could recognize the constellations but didn't want to study those paper star charts? Sky Guide's interactive experience makes learning your way around the sky intuitive and fun.
Whether you're in search of the constellation Virgo, the Andromeda Galaxy or the next big meteor shower, Sky Guide is jam-packed with information and rich graphics that will satisfy the most curious minds.
Voyage to the past or future with cinematic time controls. Know where the Moon will be later in the evening so you can capture that perfect photo. See what the sky looked like the moment you were born or be an eyewitness to history's greatest comets.
It's a star! It's a plane! No, it's a satellite! Sky Guide features hundreds of bright satellites for you to identify and track. You can also receive notifications whenever the International Space Station flies over your location.
Use Sky Guide anywhere—on your evening dog walk, camping trips or in the classroom. Sky Guide works with or without Wi-Fi, cellular service or GPS, so everything is at your fingertips no matter where you go.
- Apple Watch: Sky Guide can send you a notification when an event is about to happen in the skies above your location, like when the International Space Station is due to fly over. You can also keep tabs on the latest solar activity or add our super-accurate Moon Complication to your Apple Watch face.
- 3D Touch: Peek and Pop previews of articles from Search. Quick actions from home screen app icon.
- Notification Center Widget: At-a-glance essentials including rise and set times for the Sun, Moon and planets.
- Filter: X-ray the sky and explore invisible wonders (now enhanced with 3D Touch).
- Red night mode: Preserve your dark-adapted eyesight.
- Huge stellar catalog: 2.5 million stars!
- Sky Guide SUPERMASSIVE. This extensive add-on gives you access to incredible high definition zooming, 50× larger star and deep sky catalogs, and exclusive cinematic tours. SUPERMASSIVE includes a free two-week trial followed by an auto-renewing annual subscription. (See In-App Purchases section for the price available in your country. Payment will be charged to your iTunes account, and your account will be charged for renewal 24 hours prior to the end of the current period. Auto-renewal may be turned off at any time by going to your account settings after purchase.)
Join the millions who have discovered a more personal connection to the stars with Sky Guide. It might forever change the way you look up.
- May 10, 2013 Initial release
- May 15, 2013 New version 1.0.1
- May 30, 2013 New version 1.1
- June 05, 2013 Price increase: $0.99 -> $1.99
- July 25, 2013 New version 1.2
- August 09, 2013 Price decrease: $1.99 -> $0.99
- August 10, 2013 Price increase: $0.99 -> $1.99
- August 30, 2013 Price decrease: $1.99 -> $0.99
- September 02, 2013 Price increase: $0.99 -> $1.99
- September 14, 2013 New version 2.0
- October 14, 2013 New version 2.1
- December 19, 2013 New version 3.0
- February 01, 2014 Price decrease: $1.99 -> $0.99
- February 03, 2014 Price increase: $0.99 -> $1.99
- March 20, 2014 New version 3.2
- August 27, 2014 Price decrease: $1.99 -> $0.99
- September 05, 2014 Price increase: $0.99 -> $1.99
- September 17, 2014 New version 4.0
- October 22, 2014 New version 4.0.1
- February 18, 2015 New version 4.1
- February 18, 2015 New version 4.1.1
- March 09, 2015 New version 4.1.2
- March 26, 2015 New version 4.2.1
- May 22, 2015 New version 4.2.2
- July 01, 2015 New version 4.2.3
- August 12, 2015 Price decrease: $1.99 -> $0.99
- August 22, 2015 Price increase: $0.99 -> $1.99
- September 12, 2015 Price increase: $1.99 -> $2.99
- September 24, 2015 New version 5.0
- September 29, 2015 New version 5.0.1
- November 11, 2015 Price decrease: $2.99 -> FREE!
- November 12, 2015 Price increase: FREE! -> $2.99
- November 17, 2015 New version 5.1
- January 16, 2016 Price increase: $2.99 -> $3.99
- January 18, 2016 Price decrease: $3.99 -> $2.99
- August 18, 2016 Price increase: $2.99 -> $3.99
- September 12, 2016 New version 6.0
- September 12, 2016 Price decrease: $3.99 -> $2.99
- September 13, 2016 New version 6.0.1
- September 20, 2016 New version 6.0.2
- April 20, 2017 New version 6.2
- April 25, 2017 Price decrease: $2.99 -> $1.99
- May 02, 2017 New version 6.2.1
- May 10, 2017 Price increase: $1.99 -> $2.99
- May 25, 2017 New version 6.2.2
- July 17, 2017 New version 6.2.3
- August 19, 2017 Price decrease: $2.99 -> FREE!
- August 19, 2017 Price increase: FREE! -> $2.99
- September 19, 2017 New version 6.5