Audiobus Sender, Filter, and Receiver support
AudioShare import and export
Real time audio input recording and granulation
Gesture recording and looping for cloud parameters and positions
Save and load "scenes" - presets of clouds, sounds, and automation
Resonant filters for each grain cloud with per grain randomization
...and much more!
Fixed common sources of crashes on launch.
Better sample import options
Better performance, hardware accelerated audio
Support for external audio interfaces
Improved memory handling
Multiple sample rates and buffer sizes supported
Interface rotation supported
File sharing enabled
Borderlands Granular is a new musical instrument that enables people of all ages to touch, transform, and explore sound. Simply double tap to begin!
“The best app for exploring sound just got better... This is 'go out and buy an iPad to run it' good stuff.“ -Peter Kirn, Create Digital Music
“When I first saw the demo video for Borderlands Granular in 2012, my jaw hit the floor. My first thought was ‘THIS is what making music on an iPad should be.’”
Sean Garland, iOSMars.com
“Borderlands has floored us. It is very rare that we find an app that is not only fun to use, but extremely useful. It is truly inspiring. The interface is stunning, the sounds are so evocative: they're a film composer's dream.”
Paul Hepker and Mark Kilian, Film Composers (Tsotsi, Eye in the Sky)
“It’s beautiful, it’s absolutely great. It goes in a completely new direction."
Christian Fennesz, Experimental Musician. Interview from Tiny Mix Tapes, May 2014
2013 Prix Ars Electronica - Award of Distinction in Digital Music and Sound Art
2015 ZKM | Center for Art and Media App Art Awards - Special Prize for Sound Art
Borderlands Granular uses a technique called granular synthesis, which involves the superposition of tiny fragments of sound, or “grains," to create complex, evolving timbres and textures. The app is designed to be easy to use, emphasizing gestural interaction over knobs and sliders. Create, drag, and throw pulsing clouds of grains over a landscape of audio files, or use the built-in accelerometer to sculpt sound with gravity. Simply double tap to begin!
Borderlands comes ready to play with default sample content included, but you can also load and export your own sounds via Audiobus, Audioshare, and real time input from the mic or external audio interfaces. Re-sample recordings made within the app on-the-fly for layers-upon-layers of granulation.
You can also improvise alongside the app - touches and parameters may be recorded, looped, stored, and duplicated. Entire configurations of clouds, sounds, and automation can be saved into presets, or “scenes,” that may be recalled at a later time, allowing Borderlands to seamlessly transition between the studio and the stage.
- October 17, 2012 Initial release
- July 12, 2014 Price increase: $3.99 -> $7.99
- March 28, 2015 Price increase: $7.99 -> $9.99
- March 31, 2015 New version 2.0
- May 10, 2015 Price decrease: $9.99 -> $6.99
- May 11, 2015 Price increase: $6.99 -> $9.99
- May 31, 2015 Price decrease: $9.99 -> $7.99
- June 01, 2015 Price increase: $7.99 -> $9.99
- August 16, 2015 Price decrease: $9.99 -> $4.99
- August 18, 2015 Price increase: $4.99 -> $9.99
- November 28, 2015 Price decrease: $9.99 -> $5.99
- December 01, 2015 Price increase: $5.99 -> $9.99
- July 13, 2016 Price decrease: $9.99 -> $7.99
- July 20, 2016 Price increase: $7.99 -> $9.99
- November 26, 2016 Price decrease: $9.99 -> $4.99
- November 30, 2016 Price increase: $4.99 -> $7.99
- December 01, 2016 Price increase: $7.99 -> $9.99