148Apps Review SummaryOur Rating: :: BEAUTIFUL PICTURES :: Read Our Full Review >>
APODViewerHD delivers NASA’s Astronomy Picture of the Day to the iPad as well as past pictures.
What's New• Fixes a bug with the PDF save as option so they can once again saved and opened in the iBooks app or other compatible apps.
• Other minor bug fixes
App Description***** Whilst the US government is in shutdown, access to the latest APOD is severely limited and APODViewer will not work. Once the feed is re-enabled APODViewer will pick up where it left off. Sorry for any inconvenience but it is out of our hands *****
View the beautiful images and movies of NASA’s Astronomy Picture of the Day Website (APOD) in all their majesty on your iPad with APODViewerHD.
"easily the loviest way to view wonderful images of the universe on the iPad"
"…the only APOD app that runs the video clips…" - T Clayton
Each day APOD presents an astronomical image along with a description written by a professional astronomer. These images range from pictures of The Planets, Galaxies to astronomical phenomena here on Earth.
Whether you are an astronomy student, an enthusiastic amateur, a parent teaching your children about the world in which they live or just want to view beautiful images and discover the mysteries of the universe around you, then APODViewerHD is for you. Never has astronomy been so easy or fun!
Don't forget to rate 5 stars. Ratings and reviews help us to keep new updates coming
*********** Highlights Include ***********
• Beautiful zoomable images / pictures delivered for each each day since June 1995. New images daily
• Option to download and view the highest resolution image available - perfect for your wallpaper (NB images can be very large and may take sometime to retrieve)
• Plays YouTube & Vimeo movies inline (without opening a new window)
• Search by keyword every APOD ever published by keyword
• Mark your Favourite APODs - favorite apods are available at anytime, on or offline
• Built in caching - once you're retreived an APOD it is then available whether you are on or offline
• "Calendar View" showing a thumbnail of the APOD image published on each day since July 1995
• Random APOD - let APODViewer choose a random APOD for you to view
• Save APOD image to the Photos Application - where you could for example use it as your device's wallpaper or sync back to desktop
• Explanation text - Includes clickable web links to other relevant sites/information
NB The explanation text area can be placed anywhere on the screen with a "two finger" panning. Position is stored for both landscape & portrait modes
• Save APOD Image and text in PDF format (can be read with applications like iBooks)
• Email an APOD to read later or to friends. The generated email includes the image and explanation textwith active HTML links
• Beautiful and thoughtful user interface - Buttons designed to blend easily with every style of APOD image. Intuitive and user configurable too (pinch/zoom/pan both explanation text/image)
• Double Touch to Zoom image in/out (or Pinch Gesture)
• Two Finger Touch image to fit it to screen (in perspective)
• Single Touch to hide/show buttons & Explanation text
• Two Finger Touch "Explanation text" to pan and position it anywhere on screen
• Buttons Autofade - if turned on, buttons can be set to "autofade" so the image can be seen it's entirety without distracting buttons and explanation text (Touch screen to re-display)
• Zoom Image on load - show image slightly zoomed when loaded (fills the screen)
• Max Search results - set the maximum number of search results to return
APODViewer requires an internet connection (3G or WIFI recommended as some images can be large)
Permissions & Copyrights:
Explanation text written by Robert Nemiroff and Jerry Bonnell
All the images displayed on the APODViewer are credited to the owner or institution where they originated. Some of the images are copyrighted and to use these pictures publicly or commercially you must write to the owners for permission.
Help & Support:
PLEASE USE IN APP EMAIL FOR SUPPORT rather than request support via the app store/iTunes review system.
Email : email@example.com
Twitter : @APODViewer
February 06, 2013 Price Decrease: $3.99 -> $2.99
February 03, 2013 New version 1.0.7
December 19, 2012 Price Decrease: $4.99 -> $3.99
November 25, 2012 Price Decrease: $3.99 -> $2.99
May 01, 2011 Initial Release