148Apps Review SummaryOur Rating: :: :: Read Our Full Review >>
Pocket Universe HD is an iPad-optimized version of the most popular space education application. With its virtual sky capability, you can hold up your iPad to the heavens and pinpoint exactly what you're object you're seeing or what you're looking for.
What's New* Requires iOS 5
* New! Constellation Artwork
* New! Caldwell Deep Sky Object Catalog
* New! Search bar
* New! A fun 'Apollo' Mode.
* Comet Garradd
* Twitter support - tweet your observations!
* Many other fixes and improvements
App DescriptionNote: This is an iPad specific version of Pocket Universe. I am embarrassed to say I've lost the source code, and I cannot update it to work properly with iOS7, which is why it's now FREE.
Please use the UNIVERSAL version of Pocket Universe, which is better anyway and supports Retina graphics. And iOS 7.
The iPad version of the best-selling iPhone Astronomy App, Winner of Mac World's 2009 App Awards (Education). Pocket Universe for iPad has been rewritten from scratch, but is still the ideal astronomy app for those keen to learn about the night sky.
The unique display is generated dynamically depending on your location and time, and then rendered in 3D for a super fast response - flick the sky and it spins around you. Pocket Universe is a brilliantly simply star map that's always up-to-date and accurate. If you want your kids to learn the constellations, or to impress a date with the names of the stars, this is the only app you need.
Simply hold up your iPad in front of you, and the view will be exactly what you see - but with names and information at your fingertips. Move the iPad around to see the view change in real-time.
• Easy-to-use astronomy application, which focuses on helping you answer the question "What's that in the sky?"
• Special "Show Me" mode will guide you to named stars, planets, constellations as well as the brightest galaxies and nebulae.
• "Tonight's Sky" and "Objects and Events" will keep you up-to-date, and give you suggestions for what to look for when you head outside.
• Constellation Quiz to help you learn your way around the sky.
• Links to Wikipedia articles for the latest in-depth information.
• 3D Solar System rendering.
• Responsive customer support and frequent updates and new features.
Please note: Network access is only required to view supplementary web-based news and Wikipedia text. The rendering of the 3D sky and positions of the stars and planets are all calculated in real-time with no access to 3G, Edge or WiFi required.
•Plots the position of the Sun, Moon and Planets (including Pluto)
•Displays 10,000 stars and the Messier Catalog of Deep Sky objects.
•Draws the 88 Constellations outlines
•Show Me mode for guidance to planets, constellations and bright stars
•Lunar phases for the current, next and previous months
•Tonight's Sky creates a list of meteor showers and visible planets
•Constellation Quiz helps you learn your way around the sky
•Position of Jupiter's Moons and Saturn's Moons
•Regularly updated news section for viewing suggestions
•Location found automatically or may be specified manually.
For support or to ask a question, feel free to send a direct message on Twitter to @CraicDesign. Stay up to date with Astronomy news at http://pocketuniverse.info/news/
Note: Non-English localizations focus on solar system objects and constellation names. Translations will be expanded with future releases.
September 26, 2013 Price Decrease: $2.99 -> FREE!
December 21, 2011 Price Decrease: $3.99 -> $2.99
October 13, 2011 New version 5.0
June 15, 2011 New version 4.9
June 04, 2011 New version 4.8
May 20, 2011 New version 4.7
April 01, 2010 Initial Release