Of course we had to start with the video. Notice anything...familiar? It should be fairly obvious that this features the same gameplay and engine as the incredibly popular Gears of War series, coming right to iOS. In addition, Uppercut Games is a new game studio that is headed up by none other than Andrew James and Ed Ormon - both coming from Irrational Games, the makers of Bioshock, according to the CultOfMac Blog and PocketGamer.biz.
This is big news. While Epic brought us their own innovative use of the engine in Infinity Blade, this is the first time we've seen such a direct "console-style" gameplay using the engine. In addition, the pedigree of the development studio shows just how serious iOS gaming is becoming across the board.
The studio's own website has the following features on notice:
- Fight through the crumbling ruins of a once-thriving civilization as a freshly-rebooted robot that finds itself caught up in a mystery from the past.
- Choreograph the hectic and highly-cinematic action with innovative and intuitive swipe controls!
- Take cover, dodge, select targets, use special abilities, and launch countermeasures against your foes!
- Smash a wide variety of mechanical enemies as you struggle to fulfil your ancient programming!
- Bolt on new tech torn from your fallen adversaries, or trade for parts in the Scrapyard – will you be a ninja-like sharpshooter or an unstoppable juggernaut?
We're looking forward to AAA-inspired title as it comes to the iOS gaming scene, and will keep you informed as we learn more. EPOCH is slated for release in the fourth quarter of 2011.