The Overkill games have been pretty darn popular, so a third official release (not counting Overkill Mafia because it’s not really a part of the main series) isn’t too much of a shock. What is a bit of a shock is the fact that Craneballs is dropping the first-person perspective in favor of an all-new third-person approach.
A new perspective isn’t the only big change, either. It’s also going to be a cover shooter with interactive cutscenes and “a greater level of variability.” With ten environments, 50+ levels, and all those guns it certainly seems possible.
Overkill 3 will be releasing in the Summer/Fall of this year and will be free-to-play.
First bits of game info:
* Change to TPS to showcase the character and armor/gun upgrades directly in the game
* Boss battles – against drones, robots & vehicles
* Machine gun nest missions for pure “letting of steam”
* Night missions – they look great thanks to Unity with its lighting possibilites
* Plenty of guns and sophisticated gun upgrading (not entirely unexpected from an Overkill title)