Feral Interactive has been bringing a lot of PC games over to iOS over the years, and their latest port job is of Relic Entertainment’s Company of Heroes. The game is slated to release on later this week, but you can take a look at the game in action right here ahead of launch day.
The footage above is from Company of Heroes running on an iPad Pro 11 (2018), and it runs about as well as expected. For such an action-packed title originally designed for PC, it can make your tablet run pretty warm, but is otherwise a pretty smooth experience. Because of the resource intensive nature of it, Company of Heroes is only compatible with the following devices:
- iPad mini (5th generation)
- iPad Air (3rd generation)
- iPad (5th generation)
- iPad (6th generation)
- iPad (7th generation)
- iPad Pro (1st generation: 9.7", 12.9")
- iPad Pro (2nd generation: 10.5", 12.9")
- iPad Pro (3rd generation: 11", 12.9")
Other things to note about this mobile version of Company of Heroes are:
- It’s just the base game. Neither expansion (“Opposing Fronts,” “Tales of Valor”) are included, though Feral Interactive has said that they may become available at a later date.
- The game has around 4GB download size with an extra 1GB download for additional assets, missions, and skirmish maps, bringing the total game size to 5.15GB.
- The controls are a bit unwieldy, but the game seems to move at a slow enough pace that things stay manageable anyway.
- Autosaves trigger occasionally, but you’re better off manually saving to maintain progress (especially since I experienced one hard crash out of the game to my home screen).
- There is no multiplayer. This version of Company of Heroes only contains the single-player campaign and a skirmish mode against AI.
Company of Heroes is scheduled to release this Thursday on February 13 for $13.99. Are you planning on picking it up?