- Updated for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- Bug fixes
Featured on Lifehacker, TUAW, iMore, Beautiful Pixels, 148apps and more! Learn to faster than you ever have before!
Syllable helps you learn to read much faster, and helps you finish your Pocket, Instapaper and Readability articles you've been meaning to get to. With the skills you learn from using Syllable, you'll be able to read articles, novels, textbooks or really any kind of reading much, much faster.
The most common reason people read slowly is due to something called "subvocalization" — basically, when you read you say the words to yourself in your head. Sound familiar? Doing this is totally normal; it's how most of us learn to read: by sounding things out. This technique helps us a lot when learning how to read in the first place, but when the goal is to learn how to read faster, it limits us to a reading speed close to how fast you can talk. It seems a little silly to limit our brain's abilities to how fast we can pronounce words, doesn't it?
Try reading this description while mouthing your ABCs or counting to 10. See how much faster you can read?
Syllable helps to reduce subvocalization by taking articles/text that you give it (via URLs, Instapaper, Pocket, your clipboard, or typing) and pacing through them at a predefined rate, one at a time. By doing this, you're not giving yourself the chance to say the words, as you're forced to follow the pacing. As you get more and more comfortable, you can increase the pace that the words show and soon you'll have multiplied your previous reading speed significantly.
Syllable also allows you to select how many words show at once on screen. This technique, called "chunking" can improve your reading speed even further by reading in, you guessed it: chunks. This allows you to fly through a passage even more efficiently.
Save a lot of time by learning to read more efficiently.
• Change reading speed as you get faster
• Change amount of words shown at once
• Pocket, Instapaper and Readability integration
• Many customization options, from fonts to text placement
• Add URLs and relevant text will be added
• Add from clipboard, or by typing
• Tells you how long it will take to read the text
• Swipe to mark as read/delete
• Font option for Dyslexic users to ease reading experience
• Night mode
• Custom URL scheme for adding articles (syllableapp.com/url)
• For complete details, see http://syllableapp.com
Instapaper integration requires the user be an Instapaper subscriber ($1/mo), see the Instapaper website for more details. This is not a restriction imposed by me, but by Instapaper.
Questions or concerns? Please don't hesitate to contact me. There's even options to do it within the app!
- September 10, 2013 Initial release
- September 17, 2013 Price increase: $0.99 -> $2.99
- October 11, 2013 New version 1.0.3
- November 22, 2013 New version 2.0
- February 03, 2014 New version 2.1
- March 19, 2014 New version 2.2
- March 19, 2014 Price decrease: $2.99 -> $1.99
- April 03, 2014 New version 2.2.1
- April 03, 2014 Price increase: $1.99 -> $2.99
- November 06, 2014 New version 2.3