I use this app daily on hiking trails in Colorado. I'm continually improving it so it will be even more useful! This version adds the ability to create waypoints directly from the elevation profile plot. For example you can quickly create a waypoint at the highest elevation point of your hike.
What's new in iHikeGPS when compared with other available USA and Canada topo map apps?
• You don't just see waypoints and routes displayed on the map, you can actually do real navigation to those waypoints and along those routes. You get information such as Estimated Time of Arrival, current bearing, and remaining distance and elevation gain to your intermediate and final destinations.
• Many apps don't offer US Forest Service topo maps at all. Others say they include US Forest Service maps, but actually just give you the old 2013 USFS maps. iHikeGPS gives you (with no additional charge) the very latest US Forest Service maps which show many new and more accurately placed trails, numbered Forest Service roads, buildings, and other important details. They show forested areas and inholdings so you know if you are on Forest Service land or private land. None of these maps are older than 2015, and many are even more recent. If you ever travel into wilderness and National Forest service areas, then you will benefit hugely from having these up-to-date USFS maps available.
• You can create, import, edit, and navigate both on routes based on a recorded or imported path, and on routes based on a series of waypoints.
• iHikeGPS' s code size is kept very small by efficient programming, so in an emergency you can download it easily even over a weak cell connection.
• There is never any confusion over what maps you have available offline. They are clearly listed by USGS quad name, and also clearly shown on an overview map.
Your iPhone or iPad becomes a high-performance GPS receiver with USGS, US Forest Service & Canadian topo maps, even where there is no cell signal!
Headed into the wilderness? Always know where you've been, where you are, and where you’re going. Highest quality track recording, best route navigation and most accurate Estimated Time of Arrival of any available hiking app. No sign-up, ads, subscription or in-app purchase required, making this less expensive & less hassle than the “free” or subscription apps.
Use for hiking, backpacking, biking, canoeing, kayaking, geocaching, camping, sightseeing, 4WD exploring & skiing. Recommended as the top choice in “Essential Gear for Safe Hiking”.
TRACKS, WAYPOINTS & ROUTES
Record a track as you walk, even in the background. View it on the map. Trip Timer & Odometer.
Show an elevation graph of your track or a route with altitude data. View date, time & average speed of track points. Measure the area inside a closed path.
Mark waypoints by their position on a topo map or a satellite map, by tapping a geotagged photo, by projecting from a known point or by searching place names. Refine a waypoint position when you arrive.
Set a quick GoTo waypoint or a full route & see the heading, direction, distance, elevation change & Estimated Time of Arrival at your destination & intermediate waypoints along the trail.
Create routes using waypoints, recorded tracks, or imported GPX or KML files. Advanced route editing.
Export GPX & KML waypoint, route & track files via eMail, Messages, Copy To, AirDrop, iCloud Drive, Dropbox or iTunes.
Send KML files to display immediately in Google Earth. Receive KML files from Google Earth.
NO EXTRA CHARGE FOR TOPO MAPS
USA: Newest (2015 or later) US Forest Service 24K maps
USGS 24K maps for all 50 states, Guam, Puerto Rico & the US Virgin Islands
USGS 250K & 100K (63K for Alaska) maps for all states
Canada south of 54° latitude: National Resources Canada 50K maps for Alberta, British Columbia, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia & Prince Edward Island, and 18 Canadian National Parks
Download using WiFi or cell service.
Stitches beautiful richly detailed offline topographic map images for seamless coverage across map boundaries.
Store up to 1024 maps to use in the wilderness without cell service. Maps from our server download faster & use less of your monthly data allotment.
Includes map legends.
Print & Share map images overlaid with waypoints, routes & tracks.
Measure distance and direction between any 2 points.
USE THE UNITS YOU PREFER
miles, nautical miles or km. ft or meters
Degrees, Degrees/Minutes, Degrees/Minutes/Seconds or UTM
°True or °Magnetic
Tap Help in the App
Online Manual on iHikeGPS.com
Email developer: [email protected]
WHAT OTHERS SAY
“I am VERY impressed!!!…It pretty much blows…, my previous fave GPS app, out of the water. Your track recording features, fast map downloads, and well thought out interface make it a real winner. It's very sophisticated software, and makes my iPhone just about as good as $600 Garmin… Actually better, in a lot of ways”-John in OR
“Perfect for anyone camping, fishing & hiking, it'll provide great detail when you need it the most…for anyone who takes the great outdoors seriously”-David on HandheldItems.com
“…thank you for developing IHIKE GPS…what a great product it is. I am impressed!…I use it hiking, biking, skiing & Jeeping”-Ammon in CO
No device requires a cellular data plan to use iHikeGPS.
WiFi+cellular iPad 2 & later, and iPhone 4S & later support full navigation.
WiFi-only iPad 2 & later, and iPod touch (5th gen) & later require an iOS-compatible external GPS receiver to show your location in the wilderness & record tracks. View maps using the iOS device alone.
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
Your dream of hiking adventures reaches new heights with iHikeGPS!
- June 24, 2011 New version 2.3
- July 23, 2011 New version 2.4
- August 06, 2011 New version 2.5
- October 27, 2011 New version 3.0
- November 19, 2011 New version 3.1
- February 01, 2012 New version 3.2
- March 21, 2012 New version 3.3
- June 21, 2012 New version 3.4
- September 20, 2012 New version 3.5
- February 07, 2013 New version 4.0
- April 06, 2013 Price increase: $7.99 -> $8.99
- April 15, 2013 Price decrease: $8.99 -> $6.99
- April 24, 2013 Price increase: $6.99 -> $7.99
- September 10, 2013 New version 4.1
- February 01, 2014 New version 4.2
- March 28, 2014 New version 4.3
- April 28, 2014 New version 4.4
- May 23, 2014 New version 4.5
- September 14, 2014 New version 4.6
- October 18, 2014 New version 5.0
- November 03, 2014 New version 5.0.2
- January 29, 2015 New version 5.0.3
- May 01, 2015 New version 5.1
- June 08, 2015 New version 5.2
- July 01, 2015 New version 5.2.2
- August 13, 2015 New version 6.0
- September 01, 2015 New version 6.0.2
- September 06, 2015 Price increase: $7.99 -> $9.99
- September 17, 2015 Price decrease: $9.99 -> $7.99
- September 22, 2015 Price increase: $7.99 -> $9.99
- October 14, 2015 New version 6.1
- July 11, 2016 New version 6.2.2
- July 15, 2016 New version 6.3
- November 06, 2016 New version 7.0
- December 04, 2016 New version 7.0.1
- December 20, 2016 New version 7.0.2
- June 15, 2019 New version 8.2.7
- June 20, 2019 New version 8.2.8
- August 19, 2019 New version 8.2.9
- September 11, 2019 New version 8.3.0
- September 24, 2019 New version 8.3.1
- November 12, 2019 New version 8.3.2
- December 03, 2019 Price decrease: $9.99 -> $4.99
- December 10, 2019 New version 8.3.3
- December 10, 2019 Price increase: $4.99 -> $9.99