* Fixes an issue with Word-of-the-Day not searching from a completely closed state iOS6.
Did you know that brilliant communication is only 100 words away?
Whether you need to ace an interview, give a speech at a wedding, attend a dinner party, or impress a date, just a quick browse through this application and you'll be on your way to sounding articulate, educated, and literate. 100 Words to Make You Sound Smart is the perfect resource for anyone who wants to sound sharp, sophisticated, and in the know.
This iOS version has a full range of features:
* entire text of this best selling book
* real-time progressive search
* wildcard searches for unknown spellings
* pre-recorded sound files for pronunciations
* bookmarks with notations
* automatic history
* complete offline use - no internet connect is required
* Hyperlinks on every word out to UniDict® powered dictionaries such as American Heritage Dictionaries (if installed)
The print version of this excellent book is $5.99 in the stores. This iOS version is half the price with many more features.
A colorful variety of words have been chosen, including handy words of just one syllable (such as glib) and words derived from the names of famous people (such as Freudian slip and Machiavellian). There are expressions from popular culture (Catch-22) and words that date back to classical civilization (spartan and stoic). Each word is clearly defined and shown in context with quotations from magazines, books, newspapers, movies, TV shows, and speeches.
100 Words to Make You Sound Smart is an informative and entertaining resource that can help anyone be right on the money when looking for words that will make a point, seal the deal, or just keep folks listening. Chosen by the editors of the American Heritage® Dictionaries, these words will appeal to anyone who wants to be a more compelling communicator — as a worker, consumer, advocate, friend, dinner companion, or even as a romantic prospect.
Some reviews of the print version:
"Being smart isn't easy. But sounding smart might be merely a matter of using 100 Words to Make You Sound Smart." -Houston Chronicle
"The publication of the new book '100 Words to Make You Sound Smart' comes just in time to help us high school teachers who are now spending crisp autumn afternoons pounding out college recommendations for our students." - Hartford Courant
"Here are words that are not only powerful tools but interesting in their own right and evidence that a well-oiled vocabulary is the key to effective communication." - Kirkus
"this volume is ideal for the personal collections of writers and public speakers." -ARBA 2007
100 Words To Make You Sound Great by the Editors of the American Heritage® Dictionaries. Copyright © 2008 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- July 16, 2011 New version 3.6
- October 10, 2011 New version 3.6.1
- November 11, 2011 Price decrease: $2.99 -> $0.99
- November 18, 2011 Price increase: $0.99 -> $2.99
- December 23, 2011 Price decrease: $2.99 -> $1.99
- January 02, 2012 Price increase: $1.99 -> $2.99
- June 08, 2012 Price decrease: $2.99 -> $0.99
- June 11, 2012 Price increase: $0.99 -> $2.99
- July 14, 2012 New version 4.0
- July 19, 2012 New version 4.1
- September 11, 2012 Price decrease: $2.99 -> $0.99
- September 13, 2012 Price increase: $0.99 -> $2.99
- September 18, 2012 New version 4.1.1
- October 01, 2012 New version 4.1.2
- November 02, 2012 New version 4.1.3
- November 24, 2012 New version 5.0
- December 08, 2012 New version 5.0.1