Minor bug fixes
Poio Phonics by Kahoot! is a reading game that, in a short time, has helped more than 100,000 children learn how to read. In a study surveying more than 4,000 parents who use Poio with their children, over 85% report a significant positive impact on their child’s literacy learning.
* Covers the first years of learning to read, from matching letters and sounds to reading a complex fairy-tale story with irregular words
* The app is commonly used in preschools, primary schools, kindergartens and first grade as an introduction to literacy.
“She astounded us with being able to read the story”
— Grandmother to Ann (3)
«With Poio, my sons now nag to practise reading»
— dad to Noah (4) and James (6).
«Unlike other apps we had used before, Poio showed the user letter and sounds in a wide variety of different formats – as letters, words and in sentences and within multiple different scenarios in the game.»
— Victoria Galligan, QA Education Magazine
THE POIO METHOD
Poio is a unique approach to phonics teaching, where children are in charge of their own learning journey.
1. Poio is a game designed to engage your child through play and ignite their curiosity for reading.
2. The game continuously adapts to each child's level of skill, providing a sense of mastery and keeping the child motivated.
3. Keep track of your child’s achievements with our email reports, and get advice on how to initiate a positive dialogue to reinforce learning.
4. The goal is for your child to read the story book to you, their siblings or impressed grandparents.
EXPLORATION SPARKS CURIOSITY FOR THE STORY BOOK
The story takes place on a magical island, inhabited by a group of letter bugs called Readlings. Your child will help a troll, named Poio, learn how to read the storybook he has stolen from the Readlings.
These cute characters introduce letters, words and the story in a coherent fantasy world that unravels scene-by-scene. The game is full of tasks of increasing complexity, which helps the child to practice letter shapes, spell words and improve their phonetic awareness. Ultimately your child will make friends with all the Readlings and read the story book for the troll; and then for you, younger siblings or impressed grandparents.
THE GAME ELEMENTS
#1 THE FAIRY TALE BOOK
Inside the game there is a book. It’s empty when your child starts playing. However, as the game unfolds, it will fill up with words and unravel the mysteries of the fantasy world.
#2 THE READLINGS
Readlings are cute bugs who eat alphabet letters. They are very picky about what they like, and have different personalities. The child controls them all!
#3 A TROLL
Poio, the main character of the game, catches the cute Readlings. He needs their help to read the book he has stolen from them. As they collected words at each level, children will spell them out in order to read the book.
#4 STRAW ISLAND
The troll and the Readlings live on an island, in the forest, a desert valley and a winter land. The goal of each straw-level is to eat as many vowels as possible and find a new word for the book. A sub goal is to rescue all the trapped Readlings. To unlock the cages where the Readings are trapped, we give children phonic tasks to practice letter sounds and spelling.
For every Reading they rescue, children are rewarded with the opportunity to enter a special “house”. This gives them a break from the intense phonetics training. Here, they can use the gold coins they collect to furnish and decorate the house, while playing with the subjects and verbs of everyday objects.
#6 COLLECTABLE CARDS
The cards encourage children to find new things and to practice more. The board of cards also serves as a playful instruction menu for the elements in the game.
Poio is made by a father, teacher and tech-expert who quit his job to find a better way for children to crack the reading code. Our goal is to empower children all around the world to learn to read through play.
- November 12, 2019 Initial release
- November 19, 2019 New version 5.0.1
- November 26, 2019 Price increase: $0.99 -> $4.99
- December 10, 2019 New version 5.0.2
- January 22, 2020 Price decrease: $4.99 -> $0.99
- January 28, 2020 Price increase: $0.99 -> $4.99
- July 15, 2020 New version 5.0.8