Art or Not is an AI powered art critic that uses its understanding of over 100,000 artworks to figure out whether things around you are ‘art’ or not ‘art’.
How does it work?
The app uses machine learning to decompose the image you capture into important features. These features are then sent to the 'brain' of the app which determines if what you captured fits its definition of 'art'.
How do I use it?
- Open the app, take a picture, and see what the AI critic thinks
- The App also works as an amazing discovery tool: when you capture an image, the app will show you visually similar artworks from renowned galleries like The Metropolitan Museum of Art, The Art Institute of Chicago, and others.
- Personalise your AI critic's personality between "Mean" and "Chill"
- Share what you find on Twitter and Instagram
How does this compare to a human art critic?
Art or Not makes a judgement purely based on what it sees, whereas a human art critic takes into account cultural contexts, the artist's background, and many other non-tangible aspects that our system doesn't know about. But that's okay, this is only the beginning and maybe one day in the future AI critics will joyfully replace human critics.
- August 18, 2019 Initial release