As a musician, I have always appreciated when the worlds of sheetmusic and technology collide. In college I first explored writing music on computer and the tools that were at your disposal were mind blowing. Everything from auto-playback to automatically adding in chord progressions was at your fingertips, but there was still one small problem: lyrics. No matter how amazing your “baby Beethoven” is, unless you are planning to play it for a concert hall full of stuffy old people you’re going to need some quality words. But as any writer can tell you (myself included) these silly little sentence don’t just write themselves.
Before you get frustrated over your lack of wordsmith skill and decide to hang up your guitar forever, in steps indie developer Danté Varnado Moore, with the solution to all of your problems. His newest creation, Songwriters Pad (for both iPad and iPhone) looks to put the power of the English language back in your corner, with tools that will make designing your stanzas nothing more than a glorified Mad Lib. Okay, maybe that might be a bit of an exaggeration, but here are some of the highlighted features:
- Generate Ideas Based on Emotion – Generate ideas with our unique emotion based word and phrase generator.
- Feeling happy, angry, sexy or over the top in love? Generate words and phrases that reflect your mood and post them on sticky notes for use in your lyric.
- Find Words that Rhyme – Quickly generate words by vowel sound and save them for later use.
- Define or Find Similar Words – Need a Dictionary and a Thesaurus? It’s included too. (wifi or 3G required)
- Record Your Ideas – Got an idea for a melody? Tap ‘Record’ on the built in Audio Player and let it rip. Capture vocal ideas anytime inspiration strikes and save it with your lyric.
There is literally everything that a songwriter could ever ask for included in this app. It is very apparent that this was well thought out, with the musician in mind, because you would be hard pressed to find something not to like. If you are still skeptical, I will leave you with a trailer for the iPad version of the software. I’m pretty sure you will agree that the awesomeness of this app will speak for itself. Now get out there and start winning some Grammys!
Released: 2010-09-18 :: Category: Music