All Posts By Jennifer Allen
One of the more exciting gaming developments that has come about thanks to the rise of tablets and the iPad in particular is the resurgence of the adventure game. Touchscreen gaming lends itself perfectly to this kind of experience, and various indie developers are embracing its potential.
One such development studio is that of Belfast-based Billy Goat Entertainment. The studio is currently in the midst of a Kickstarter campaign for their upcoming title, Her Majesty’s Spiffing, which is a quirky space-based adventure. While the campaign is focused on rewarding PC owning pledgers, there are plans for an iOS release. We took the time to learn more from founder, William Barr.
148Apps: How did Billy Goat Entertainment come about? And why the quirky name?
William Barr (WB): The company came about out of necessity seeing as I carelessly decided to leave a job I wasn’t fond of (despite the meagre yet reliable monthly paychecks) and no one else would hire me! As for the name, I’m very much a child of the 90s, a time when every company needed to have some form of anthropomorphic cartoon animal mascot. I’m also incredibly conceited – Billy is of course a common abbreviation of William. These two factors contributed to the choice of name and the fact that we have a Cashmere Goat as our mascot!
Continue reading The Challenges of Kickstarting a Project and why Her Majesty’s Spiffing should be Hilarious »
[Update: Rather than a random draw, you’ll simply receive the USB stick with both games just for filling out the form.]
Live in the US? Like free games and USB gadgets? Well, you’re in luck!
Our friends at Chukong Technologies are giving 148Apps readers the opportunity to grab two fine games loaded onto a neat little 16GB micro USB drive that’s so tiny you won’t even notice it poking out of your computer or smartphone.
The two games in question are bold, beautiful brawler Chaos Fighters and space puzzler extraordinaire Cosmic Crash.
To get yours, you must have a US mailing address and be at least 18 years old.
Does that sound like you? Great! Now just answer this quick and easy survey, and you’ll find quite a treat in your mailbox well before the holiday season.
• This giveaway is only open for a limited number of entries – if the form isn’t loading we are already at full capacity.
• Drives will be mailed out within 1-2 weeks of their respective form submission.
• The offer is only open to people with US mailing addresses.
• 148Apps parent company Steel Media’s decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into regarding those who don’t receive a USB stick.
Would you like to see what we thought of this rather pretty base builder? Check out our Agents of Storm review!
Have you downloaded Agents of Storm, been bowled over by the graphics, and aren’t quite sure what to do next? Never fear, for we’re here with some handy tips and tricks to help any beginner get started!
Diamonds Are Your Best Friend
- Diamonds don’t come easily in this game, which is a shame because they’re very useful. For that reason, don’t use them early on. Encouraging you to do exactly that is a common thing with games like this, but resist. There’s just no point using them up to save you a minute of time, when later on they’ll be far more useful.
- To boost your diamond supply, work towards the achievements that Agents of Storm likes you to complete. You’ll earn a few diamonds here and there for completing some fairly straightforward tasks.
- You can watch videos for free diamonds, too. It’s a bit tedious, but it’s handy when trying to earn more. You could always leave the video playing while doing something else away from your phone for those few seconds!
- Put those diamonds towards the many enhancements in the shop. These can make all the difference. The Build Module reduces the cool down time between buildings, while Pagoda gives you experience just for being there. Waterfall gives you more gold from every attack you complete.
- Focus on upgrading your resource gathering buildings for that very reason. Gold is particularly useful as it’s needed for attacking islands. As island attacks are your main source of progressing anywhere in the game, you want to focus on this.