‘Off The Beaten Track North-West’ is a new touring route for car and motorcyclists, that gives you a taste of what we call ‘Real Ireland’. The route takes in 385kms (240 miles) of rural roads in Leitrim, Fermanagh, Cavan and Sligo. It passes through a variety of scenic lakes, from mountains to river valleys and from inland lakes to the Wild Atlantic. Although you will be travelling off the beaten track, you are never far away from a visitor attraction, a town, village, pub, restaurant or cafe.
‘Off The Beaten Track North-West’ follows a variety of roads, from primary routes to narrow, single track rural roads, some with rough gravel surfaces and grass up the middle. We want to show you ‘Real Ireland’, which includes some out of the way places.
Be aware that you will be travelling on roads that are used by local people, cyclists, farmers and others, so you may meet them, possibly along with animals, on the road. Please be careful and considerate to other road users and look out for changing road surfaces.
Important points to note:
· This is an adventure route so some roads are narrow, single track, gravel roads. Please be vigilant of overgrown hedgerows - Drive with caution at all times
· You are required to use the appropriate speed for the road conditions around you.
· Please note speeds in Northern Ireland are measured in miles per hour (mph).
· Speeds in Southern Ireland are in kilometres per hour (kph).
· Be careful where you park, do not obstruct gates or leave litter.
· Always drive on the left side of the road.
This project is a joint initiative between Leitrim County Council and Fermanagh District Council
- June 10, 2015 Initial release