HALIDE 1.6: THE SPEED UPDATE
Our latest update is about speed. We’ve added shortcuts, snap photos faster, and taken the guesswork out of files and formats to make you more efficient. Let’s dive in!
LOCK SCREEN AND 3D TOUCH SHORTCUTS
By popular demand, we’ve added a lock screen widget to launch Halide with one tap. We’ve added 3D shortcuts to launch the app in either Manual or Auto mode.
Everything feels a lot more responsive, as we’ve cut down the time between hitting the capture button and the new photo appearing. Now you immediately know when you’ve captured the perfect shot.
RAW WITHOUT COMPROMISE
When you open a RAW image in an app that can’t read RAW, the image looks blurry. We can’t fix those apps, but we’re improving the situation. Apps that aren’t compatible will now fall-back to a processed image we save alongside your RAW. You can turn this off within Advanced Settings.
After a day full of shooting, we know it’s annoying to sort through your camera roll to find the favorite photos you want to edit. To speed things up, RAW photos are now added to a “RAW” album in your camera roll.
ADVANCED FORMAT OPTIONS AND TIFF CAPTURE
By popular demand, we’ve added a few advanced format options within Settings. If you’re worried about compatibility with HEIC, switch from “Most Efficient” to “Most Compatible” and Halide will use JPEG.
In situations where Halide can’t shoot RAW, we offer MAX mode, which saves a HEIC or JPEG in the highest quality setting. We now also have TIFF! It’s lossless, but uses 3x the storage.
Halide is the first manual camera app to support VoiceOver, Apple’s assistive technology for the visually impaired. If you or anyone you know relies on VoiceOver, we’d appreciate your feedback, and we’d love to hear how you’re using the app. Please email us at [email protected]
ERGONOMIC IMPROVEMENTS ON IPHONE X
We've fine-tuned the placement of controls on iPhone X, to improve thumb access. You probably can't see it, but it makes a big difference.
If you enjoy Halide, consider leaving a review. We don’t prompt for reviews in the app, so every little bit helps. If you have any issues or questions, just email [email protected] and we’ll get right on it. Thanks for your support!
“This iOS Camera App Brings Out the Pro in Amateurs”
“Lavish, tactile, respectful, illuminating, gorgeous.”
“Halide has the potential transform how you make photos with your phone.”
“This sort of maniacal attention to the smallest of details deserves to be celebrated.”
- Daring Fireball
Halide is a groundbreaking camera app for deliberate and thoughtful photography. With high-end tools, a UI designed from scratch for iPhone 8 and iPhone X featuring beautiful details, Halide is your go-to camera when you want to really take a photo rather than a quick snapshot.
Use gestures in Halide’s to change exposure and manual focus with a swipe. Halide’s professional tools include focus peaking, a detailed histogram, adaptive level grid, and RAW support (on certain phones*). Customize controls to adapt the app to your needs.
- Beautiful, intuitive gesture-based interface
- On iPhone X, a custom-designed UI that is completely usable with one hand
- Focus peaking* and powerful manual focus
- Full manual controls including shutter speed, ISO and white balance
- Live histogram for perfect exposure*
- Captures RAW, TIFF, HEIC or JPG for the best quality shots*
- Capture Depth on dual-camera iPhones*
- Grid overlay with built-in level
- Quick-review of your last few shots
- Intelligent automatic and manual mode
Focus peaking requires iPhone 5S or later (5S, 6, 6S, 7, 8, X, SE)
Histogram requires iPhone 6 or later. (6, 6S, 7, 8, X, SE)
RAW requires iPhone 6S or later. (6S, 7, 8, X, SE)
Depth Capture requires a dual-camera iPhone (iPhone 7 and 8 Plus, iPhone X)
- May 31, 2017 Initial release
- May 31, 2017 New version 1.0.1
- June 02, 2017 New version 1.0.2
- June 21, 2017 New version 1.0.3
- July 07, 2017 Price increase: $2.99 -> $4.99
- August 22, 2017 New version 1.1.0
- August 22, 2017 Price decrease: $4.99 -> $2.99
- November 03, 2017 New version 1.5.0
- November 06, 2017 Price increase: $2.99 -> $4.99
- November 08, 2017 New version 1.5.1
- December 01, 2017 New version 1.5.2
- December 16, 2017 New version 1.6.0
- December 18, 2017 Price decrease: $4.99 -> $2.99
- December 18, 2017 Price increase: $2.99 -> $4.99
- December 19, 2017 Price decrease: $4.99 -> $2.99
- December 27, 2017 Price increase: $2.99 -> $4.99