HALIDE 1.8: IT’S ABOUT TIME
This big update adds an Apple Watch companion app to remotely preview and take shots, a self-timer, and a completely redesigned photo review that makes it easy to go back in time. We also did a ton of work on accessibility to make our app usable for more people.
You can now use your watch as a remote trigger— with a live preview! Whether you want to be in a group photo or want to avoid camera shake during a long exposure, Halide is now available from your wrist. To use, just open Halide on your phone and then open the Halide Apple Watch app. It's really that easy.
If you don’t have an Apple Watch, use the self-timer to take a photo with a delay. To help with group photos, the LED on the back of your iPhone flashes as it counts down. Look for a timer icon in the Quick Bar as well as the shutter button countdown. Forgot the timer was on? Just tap on the shutter again to cancel.
We’re adding a grid-view option in our photo reviewer, similar to the built in photos app. We’ve also changed things so swiping horizontally changes photos. Despite this added view, you can still get back to your camera with a swipe; just swipe down to get back to the viewfinder instantly. Finally, we’ve sped things up for users with gigantic libraries.
We care a lot about accessibility, and in previous updates we already did a lot to make Halide more usable to everyone. This update is our biggest accessibility push yet, with support for Dynamic Type, VoiceOver improvements and much more. Our camera, photo reviewer, and settings reflect the font size you’ve set in iOS Settings. We’ve also improved how things look when “bold text” is enabled in system settings. As always, this update includes small UI improvements (we keep polishing this gem!) and bug fixes.
If you love Halide, be sure to rate us! We don’t prompt for reviews, so every bit helps, and good reviews really help us a ton.
Til next time!
— Ben & Sebastiaan
“This iOS Camera App Brings Out the Pro in Amateurs”
“Lavish, tactile, respectful, illuminating, gorgeous.”
“Halide has the potential transform how you make photos with your phone.”
“This sort of maniacal attention to the smallest of details deserves to be celebrated.”
- Daring Fireball
Halide is a groundbreaking camera app for deliberate and thoughtful photography. With high-end tools, a UI designed from scratch for iPhone 8 and iPhone X featuring beautiful details, Halide is your go-to camera when you want to really take a photo rather than a quick snapshot.
Use gestures in Halide’s to change exposure and manual focus with a swipe. Halide’s professional tools include focus peaking, a detailed histogram, adaptive level grid, and RAW support (on certain phones*). Customize controls to adapt the app to your needs.
- Beautiful, intuitive gesture-based interface
- On iPhone X, a custom-designed UI that is completely usable with one hand
- Focus peaking* and powerful manual focus
- Full manual controls including shutter speed, ISO and white balance
- Live histogram for perfect exposure*
- Captures RAW, TIFF, HEIC or JPG for the best quality shots*
- Capture Depth on dual-camera iPhones*
- Grid overlay with built-in level
- Quick-review of your last few shots
- Intelligent automatic and manual mode
Focus peaking requires iPhone 5S or later (5S, 6, 6S, 7, 8, X, SE)
Histogram requires iPhone 6 or later. (6, 6S, 7, 8, X, SE)
RAW requires iPhone 6S or later. (6S, 7, 8, X, SE)
Depth Capture requires a dual-camera iPhone (iPhone 7 and 8 Plus, iPhone X)
- May 31, 2017 Initial release
- May 31, 2017 New version 1.0.1
- June 02, 2017 New version 1.0.2
- June 21, 2017 New version 1.0.3
- July 07, 2017 Price increase: $2.99 -> $4.99
- August 22, 2017 New version 1.1.0
- August 22, 2017 Price decrease: $4.99 -> $2.99
- November 03, 2017 New version 1.5.0
- November 06, 2017 Price increase: $2.99 -> $4.99
- November 08, 2017 New version 1.5.1
- December 01, 2017 New version 1.5.2
- December 16, 2017 New version 1.6.0
- December 18, 2017 Price decrease: $4.99 -> $2.99
- December 18, 2017 Price increase: $2.99 -> $4.99
- December 19, 2017 Price decrease: $4.99 -> $2.99
- December 27, 2017 Price increase: $2.99 -> $4.99
- March 07, 2018 Price decrease: $4.99 -> $2.99
- March 07, 2018 New version 1.7.1
- March 08, 2018 Price increase: $2.99 -> $4.99
- March 12, 2018 New version 1.7.2
- March 29, 2018 New version 1.7.3
- May 01, 2018 New version 1.8.1
- May 01, 2018 Price increase: $4.99 -> $5.99