Qixel is an iPad app that makes it super-easy for designers, pixel-lovers and retro gamers to make stylized 'qixel art' and share their designs by email, Facebook and Twitter.
What can you make with 651 pixels?
Qixel is all about creating minimalist images, retro characters and typography with a limited number of pixels and color palette. Make art or just use it to chill out - it's the digital equivalent of popping bubblewrap!
Here's what you can do with Qixel:
- Draw pictures with 4 different pixel types: Squares, Circles, Diamonds and Triangles.
- The canvas background button flips between black or white. This has a very different effect on your qixels.
- Use the darken and lighten buttons to add shade and depth to your art.
- The triangle setting has an extra button: Rotation. Try rotating your triangles 90 degrees to make strange patterns and origami-style art.
- Use Qixel to make quirky typography.
- Write simple messages and greeting cards to send to friends.
- Make cool patterns and abstract backgrounds for websites.
- Create retro game graphics, and then export frames in stages to make animation.
- Experiment with color: great for artists and color therapy teachers.
The Fingerprint Network
Qixel is part of the Fingerprint Network of games for Learning and Play. Fingerprint offers a range of features to support the whole family including:
- A Shared Family Account makes it easy for kids and parents to share a device and allows parents to track the game play and learning of multiple children under a single account.
- In-App messaging lets kids and parents to send one another fun and encouraging messages.
- A curated Game Catalog suggests new Apps based on your child's interests and learning levels.
- Parent Controls keep In-App-Purchase behind a parent gate.
- June 19, 2014 Initial release