App DescriptionLooking for an app to teach or reinforce how to use money in real life situations? Dollar Up is the perfect app for children learning to handle money, kids, teens and adults with developmental disabilities as well as for therapists who work with stroke survivors, those in the early stages of Alzheimer’s, and more.
Dollar Up was designed by teachers and therapists as a way for people to practice working out how much money they have, if they have enough to purchase the items they need and how much money to give a cashier, all without requiring them to count change. The app’s goal is to help children, teens and adults to acquire or maintain a life skill they need in order to foster independence.
The app currently supports the following currencies:
• Australian dollar
• Canadian dollar
• U.S. dollar
• British Pound
In addition to teaching the ‘Dollar Up’ technique, seven games provide the user with practice using it in the following situations:
• Identifying notes and coins
• How much to pay when shown a price total
• How much to pay when told a price total
• Checking how much money they have
• Working out how much money to hand over
• Paying for items
• Calculating if they have enough money to pay for items
For those who plan to use Dollar Up in an educational or therapeutic context, we have included many desirable features in the app including:
• Support for multiple students or clients
• The ability to customize the app to suit each user’s needs
• Data tracking, including reports that can be shared via email
• For children (or adults!) who want or need a fun break there are two mini games included in the app
All aspects of Dollar Up have been designed to make it as accessible as possible and initial feedback from parents, teachers and therapists has been extremely positive:
"My student...loved the game and the multi-currency aspect will be very useful in the future, as his father [wants him to] learn to recognise Euro and American currency as well as Australian."
"My [autistic] 16 year old just learned the method in 2 goes. I'm showing his teacher next week!!"
"Smooth design, no glitching, no need for a manual as I was able to get it started and working with the kids in minutes."
PKCLsoft takes children’s privacy serious. Our apps have:
• a parental gate so children cannot access links outside the app
• no ads
• no tools for collecting or analysing user data
• no social media sharing
• no in-app purchases
KNOW WHAT'S INSIDE
As a MOMs with Apps member, we follow the
"Know what's inside" best practices for kids’ apps
At PKCLsoft we value your feedback so please email any comments or questions about Dollar Up to email@example.com
March 08, 2014 New version 1.2
February 18, 2014 New version 1.1
February 07, 2014 Initial Release