Semiannual editorial update including hundreds of revisions and new words. Also includes bug fixes for IOS9.
Celebrating the relaunch of the American Heritage Dictionary®. The Fifth Edition of The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language is one of the most comprehensive and accessible resources available on any mobile device.
*** This is ""free-to-download"" but not a free app. It requires a single use, single device redeem code OR an InApp purchase. ***
• For new users, an InApp purchase is required to activate the dictionary.
• For previous AHD5 owners: if the app does not activate automatically, please email support.
This latest edition has been much anticipated:
200 Usage Experts
10,000 New Words and Senses
1 Defining Achievement
Keep the hardcopy at home and take the app with you wherever you need it.
• entire text of this landmark new edition
• complete offline use — no Internet connection needed
• complete front matter and appendices
• real-time progressive searching
• three-way cross-referencing indexes
• wildcard pattern searches
• spelling suggestions
• internal hyperlinking
• zoomable graphics
• full pronunciation symbols chart
• IPA pronunciation symbol conversion
• detailed etymologies with links to root appendices
• professionally recorded sound files
• automatic search history
• two-way external application interaction
• bookmarks with editable notations
• OS-independent app localization
• iPod, iPhone & iPad compatible “universal app”
• retina display support
• make-your-own flashcards
• external monitor and TV output supported
• Facebook APIs supported
• Twitter & Evernote posting
• full layout for definition e-mails and Evernote posts
In keeping with the American Heritage® tradition of cutting-edge research, the Fifth Edition represents the work of a dedicated team of experts, scholars, and contributors. Thousands of definitions have been revised in rapidly changing fields such as astronomy and biology; geographical entries and maps have been completely updated; and the dictionary’s signature feature notes on word history, synonymy, and language variation have been enhanced and improved.
Word meanings are made easier to understand with thousands of new quotations from classic and contemporary writers. Etymologies explaining word origins and development have been newly created or revised to reflect the very latest scholarship. Many words are traced back to their roots in prehistory through two unique appendices showing word roots from the ancient Indo-European and Semitic languages.
Easy to navigate, enlightening, and visually stunning, the Fifth Edition of The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language gives you the opportunity to make your mark in the best possible way.
- October 30, 2013 Initial release
- February 11, 2014 New version 6
- October 02, 2014 New version 6.1
- February 11, 2015 New version 6.2
- November 22, 2015 New version 6.5