Improved design, content updates, and minor fixes.
The ITALIAN FOOD DECODER is the perfect companion for exploring the world of Italian cuisine. This app provides instant translations of all the food names, terms and phrases commonly used in cooking. And it's much more than just a dictionary. In-depth entries for all the important words offer background, with descriptions of what's in a dish, where it came from, what goes good with it and who does it best.
The ITALIAN FOOD DECODER is comprehensive—some 6,000 words in all, including dialect words and local dishes from every region of Italy. The advanced search function allows you to instantly find the Italian word for anything, and easy navigation lets you puzzle through any restaurant menu in a snap.
With so many regional styles and specialities, Italian cooking can be awfully mystifying (we've found over twenty words for chanterelle mushrooms), but this app will help you sort out the local peculiarities as well as the hundreds of varieties of cheeses, charcuterie, fish, pasta shapes and the rest.
The ITALIAN FOOD DECODER is an education in everything Italian in a fun, accessible form. Whether you're a first-time visitor or a seasoned Italophile, it is bound to increase your enjoyment and appreciation of one of the world's great cuisines. Buon appetito!
• Over 2000 articles for the most important dishes and specialities
• Special lists of cookware and tableware words, cuts of meat, cheese and wine terms and other topics
• Links to food sites, blogs and recipes, and to Italian food festivals
• Take it to the market and learn what you're looking at
• Use it to decipher real Italian recipes
• Lists DOC foods, and local specialities in the Slow Food 'Ark of Taste'
* About the Authors *
Dana Facaros and Michael Pauls are the authors of twenty-six Cadogan Guides covering every town and region of Italy. They started back in 1986, bringing up their children in an Umbrian village while exploring the country. Italy soon had its way with them, turning them (and the children) into hopeless, unrepentant foodies. In their travels, they always enjoyed taking notes on regional specialities and obscure delights, and these became the basis of this app.
- June 06, 2014 Initial release
- January 23, 2016 New version 3.0.0
- February 13, 2016 New version 3.1.0
- February 24, 2016 New version 3.2.0
- June 20, 2016 New version 3.4
- November 05, 2016 New version 3.5
- November 24, 2016 New version 3.6