5.2.1: Miscellaneous fixes including a couple for the palette editor and onion skin alpha when transparency is used.
5.2: Export UI enhancements, including a fix for exporting animated GIFs to certain destinations.
5.1: Handled a few bugs and added the ability to move the pencil draw/scroll selector by tapping a corner to anchor it.
5.0: After a long wait, we'd like to formally welcome you to a brand new Pixely! Just about everything has been improved in some way to make pixel art creation in Pixely the best it can be, and it could not have been done this way without the help of Pixely's amazing user base. Thanks for your emails!
Here's what's new:
• A brand new renderer! This new renderer can zoom out to an image-accurate 1x view, which the old one could not do, and does not have a delay when loading pixels from off-screen during scrolling. For the tech savvy, this one is OpenGL-based, but don't worry about battery impact -- it only refreshes when necessary.
• A more polished UI/UX that adds a customizable tint color to the interface. We're partial to the "Pixely Purple" default, but the app tint can be changed via Settings and can be set to automatically change based on the hue of the current background color. Also, Pixely's new icons are brought to you by The Noun Project.
• Tools and functions are now in fewer logical menus for a more focused experience when trying to find the tool you're looking for. Some features that were previously menu-based (resize, flip/rotate, shift) have been promoted to screens to make those features easier to understand and use.
• Resizing, flipping, and rotating a canvas are now undoable actions.
• In-Editor layering! Now, when you tap the thumbnail of the current canvas, a new canvas will be displayed using all of your open, enabled canvases as layers. You can then choose to add this canvas and whether to close all other open canvases. Finally, layers!
• Did we say "enabled" canvases? Yes! Just like layers in professional photo apps, you can now disable a canvas by swiping left on its thumbnail. This excludes it from layering and animation operations so you can swap out layers/frames easily.
• Re-arranging canvases is now accomplished by swiping right on the current canvas thumbnail and then tapping the thumbnail where you'd like that canvas to move.
• An all new Art Viewer! It's bigger and it has all of your canvases in a timeline; you can also swipe down to exclude them as layers/frames, just like the editor, and swipe up to rearrange them.
• If you use HSB coloring, you may know that some HSB colors can translate to more than one RGB color, and that image data is stored in RGB (many image editors assume you know this or ignore it). This used to mean that loading art you've saved previously could yield HSB colors that aren't exactly what you chose originally. To prevent unexpected value changes, HSB colors you select will now be slightly tweaked (usually +1 or +2 to saturation or brightness) to colors with a predictable RGB combination. This means that when you open saved art that you made earlier with HSB colors, those values will be exactly what you chose originally.
• Speaking of coloring, new linear and randomized shading (burn/dodge) tools are now available! You can add or remove shade (brightness) from your pixels using your selected drawing tool.
• Maximum canvas sizes have increased! iPad 3/Mini 2 and up can now edit canvases up to 2048x2048, while iPad Pro 12.9 can edit canvases up to 4096x4096.
• Yes, iPad Pro 12.9 is now supported!
• And last, but not least, recently loaded and saved files are now readily accessible from the file menu.
If you've been a long time Pixely user, you know that we love this app and hope that you do, too. If you do, please consider rating this app and leaving a review. As always, reach out at [email protected] or via the Feedback link in-app if you have any feedback, need help, or have a feature request. Thanks for using Pixely!
Pixely is the easiest way to make beautiful pixel art.
"Dev is constantly updating and maintaining this app. Easy to contact him, with lightning fast updates on any issues encountered. With its current trajectory this will be one of the best sprite editors on any platform." - Review from Dr Review, US App Store
"I've tried quite a few pixel art apps and while some were good, none had been great until I found Pixely. It has a great interface and a really fantastic set of tools and the settings allow you to customize the app to your liking." - Review from @RickSantiago, US App Store
A feature-rich pixel art and pixel-level image editor made for everyone from the dabbling game art fan to the experienced artist and anyone in between.
-- A Flexible Workspace --
• Edit huge canvases up 1024x1024 on iPad 2/Mini, 2048x2048 for iPad 3/Mini 2 and up, and 4096x4096 on iPad Pro 12.9
• Adjustable canvas sizes let you dynamically increase or decrease the number of columns and rows, with or without scaling. Unlike other editors, when scaling up linearly (2x, 3x, etc.) Pixely will not distort your colors.
• Bookmark up to 40 colors per canvas (80 on iPad Pro 12.9) or create a palette of 272 colors
• Specify canvas background colors for reference or ambience while working
• Customize your experience with app tinting
• Helpful descriptions are available for every button and screen
• Undo/redo on each canvas, 1x-120x zooming, show/hide outlines, flip and rotate artwork, and more!
• A handy art viewer lets you preview your art enlarged or see it tiled; care has been taken to scale art proportionally, preventing distortion and unwanted color changes.
• Treat canvases as layers or animation frames. Making layered art or animated GIFs has never been easier!
• Also, Animators: Pixely supports onion skinning!
• "Mirror Mode" available for left-handed artists
-- Highly Portable Artwork --
• Load and save art files, which include bookmarked colors, from/to your app files and Dropbox, with support for folders! Oh, and you can preview your files as thumbnails before you load them.
• All canvases are auto-saved when switching apps, even the ones you haven't saved yet.
• Import images captured from your camera or from Photos
• Paste images that have been copied from other apps, such as Safari
• Import animated images (GIF/APNG) as frames and export them back out as GIFs.
• Export artwork, whether as PNGs or animated GIFs, to your app files, Dropbox, photos, email, Facebook, and Twitter
• Load, save, and export multiple canvases at a time
-- Create & Curate Colors --
• Pixely supports every color in the 16 million, 24-bit color spectrum with opacity
• Start simple… select your colors from 234 evenly spread presets
• Go pro… edit any RGB/HSB color using sliders and brightness toggles
• Stay consistent… create palettes of up to 272 colors that you can load, save, and share
• Import colors to get the exact shades that inspire you. Too many shades? Pixely will import a smart subset of them
• Quickly transfer colors from a palette to a canvas's bookmarks
• Game Devs: Easily create a less-colored 8-bit effect… Pixely can automatically color-reduce canvases to use only colors from a specific palette
-- A Dynamic Toolset --
• Drawing Modes: Create art using pencil, 8-directional line, rectangle, and fill tools, all with optional symmetry
• Shading (Burn/Dodge): Add or remove shading linearly or randomly
• Replace Color: Change all pixels of one color to another color
• Copy and Paste: Use any drawing mode to select pixels to paste on a canvas, which you can then choose to shift for precision. You can even paste as a pattern (great for dithering effects).
• Shift: Move your entire canvas around without copy-pasting
• Eyedropper: Change the current color by selecting one from a pixel
We love using Pixely and want you to enjoy it as much as we do. Please recommend any features or report bugs to [email protected], on Facebook, or @PixelyApp on Twitter.
- June 14, 2014 Initial release
- August 13, 2014 New version 2.7
- January 27, 2015 New version 2.8
- February 17, 2015 New version 2.8.1
- April 27, 2015 Price increase: $1.99 -> $2.99
- June 01, 2015 Price decrease: $2.99 -> $1.99
- June 25, 2015 New version 3.0
- October 07, 2015 New version 3.0.1
- January 10, 2016 New version 3.0.2
- January 21, 2016 New version 4.0
- July 06, 2016 New version 5.2.1