Van Dale Modern Dutch explanatory dictionary
The addition 'modern' says it all: this is a contemporary and pragmatic dictionary, containing over 100,000 present-day entries - including colloquial language. The content is aimed at finding meanings fast. Furthermore, this dictionary contains about 100,000 related expressions, such as synonyms, antonyms and hypernyms, making it an ideal resource for writing texts. This unabridged dictionary is the best choice for professional use, for studies at the highest level and for highly critical home users. Van Dale dictionaries are aimed at Dutch spoken users.
Get the most out of this Van Dale Modern Dutch explanatory dictionary by using the clever functionalities:
• Type, paste, write or dictate (from iOS 8.2) your word: all entry methods are available to you. We will continue the search when you tap on a word in an entry.
• This dictionary contains approximately 101,000 entries, 123,000 meanings and 59,000 examples.
• Including elaborate information, such as synonyms, example sentences and extra in-depth texts.
• Use the Word Trainer for learning a language. Select words from the dictionary to test yourself.
• A language not only written, but also spoken. The pronunciation of headwords is written in phonotype.
• While you are typing words, the best matches are already shown. This way, you often don’t need to type an entire word.
• Turn the dictionary inside out: do a full-text search to find words and examples in entries as well.
• Uncertain about how a word is written? Typing wrongly spelled words is not a problem. We will also find words that are similar to the one you have typed.
• Fill in a form of a word and we’ll show you the stem of that word. You will also find practical schedules with word forms in the descriptions of words.
• Use wildcards instead of letters or search for anagrams. This way, you can search with even more results and you have a useful aid for puzzles and word games.
• Go into detail: find specific words within an article.
• Do a search on one or more words directly from Safari or from your clipboard (from iOS 8).
• Your search history is saved (and can be deleted easily!)
• Adjust the font size or colours according to your own taste and use pinch to zoom within articles.
• Would you like to keep your find? Simply put words in your own favourites list.
• An internet connection is not required to use this app, so no hidden costs.
• Van Dale apps are universal, so they work on iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. You can use them in portrait or landscape position.
We regularly perform technical updates. This way, bugs are eliminated and new possibilities are added. Do you have suggestions or do you have ideas to improve this app? Please send us an email: [email protected] Compliments are also gladly received. A positive review in the App Store means the world to us!
Van Dale Uitgevers is the leading and most authoritative publisher of dictionaries in the Netherlands and Belgium. Van Dale produces a wide and varied offering of dozens of language–related titles for effective language user support. With precision and respect, Van Dale describes language as thoroughly as possible, and not only Dutch, but foreign languages too.
- January 28, 2013 Initial release
- May 24, 2013 Price decrease: $54.99 -> $27.99
- May 27, 2013 Price increase: $27.99 -> $54.99
- June 08, 2013 Price decrease: $54.99 -> $27.99
- June 10, 2013 Price increase: $27.99 -> $54.99
- June 28, 2013 Price decrease: $54.99 -> $27.99
- July 01, 2013 Price increase: $27.99 -> $54.99
- July 22, 2013 New version 1.1
- November 29, 2013 Price decrease: $54.99 -> $33.99
- December 06, 2013 Price increase: $33.99 -> $38.99
- December 13, 2013 Price increase: $38.99 -> $44.99
- December 20, 2013 Price decrease: $44.99 -> $33.99
- January 02, 2014 Price increase: $33.99 -> $54.99
- August 28, 2014 Price decrease: $54.99 -> $27.99
- September 14, 2014 Price increase: $27.99 -> $54.99
- February 17, 2015 Price decrease: $54.99 -> $49.99
- August 07, 2015 New version 1.2
- July 03, 2016 New version 3.59.760