This app has been completely rebuilt. For a list of the new possibilities, please read the store description and the manual within the app.
Please note: this is the 14th edition of the Dikke Van Dale.
The new “Dikke Van Dale – 15th edition” is also available in the App Store. Tap “Van Dale Uitgevers” above this text for our complete range of apps.
This 14th edition will be removed from the App Store in 2016. You will still be able to download it from your purchase history.
Van Dale Groot woordenboek van de Nederlandse taal
Containing the Dutch lexicon ranging from around 1880 until now, this well known dictionary is a trustworthy source of information about the Dutch language - both modern and from the past. Although it is full of tradition, it is still up-to-date after almost 150 years.
Get the most out of this Dikke Van Dale by using the clever functionalities:
• Type, paste, write or dictate (from iOS 8.2) your word: all entry methods are available to you. We will continue the search when you tap on a word in an entry.
• This dictionary contains approximately 238,000 entries, 321,000 meanings and 138,000 examples.
• Including elaborate information, such as synonyms, example sentences and extra in-depth texts.
• Use the Word Trainer for learning a language. Select words from the dictionary to test yourself.
• A language not only written, but also spoken. The pronunciation of headwords is written in phonotype.
• While you are typing words, the best matches are already shown. This way, you often don’t need to type an entire word.
• Turn the dictionary inside out: do a full-text search to find words and examples in entries as well.
• Uncertain about how a word is written? Typing wrongly spelled words is not a problem. We will also find words that are similar to the one you have typed.
• Fill in a form of a word and we’ll show you the stem of that word. You will also find practical schedules with word forms in the descriptions of words.
• Use wildcards instead of letters or search for anagrams. This way, you can search with even more results and you have a useful aid for puzzles and word games.
• Go into detail: find specific words within an article.
• Do a search on one or more words directly from Safari or from your clipboard (from iOS 8).
• Your search history is saved (and can be deleted easily!)
• Adjust the font size or colours according to your own taste and use pinch to zoom within articles.
• Would you like to keep your find? Simply put words in your own favourites list.
• An internet connection is not required to use this app, so no hidden costs.
• Van Dale apps are universal, so they work on iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. You can use them in portrait or landscape position.
Van Dale Uitgevers is the leading and most authoritative publisher of dictionaries in the Netherlands and Belgium. Van Dale produces a wide and varied offering of dozens of language–related titles for effective language user support. With precision and respect, Van Dale describes language as thoroughly as possible, and not only Dutch, but foreign languages too.
- January 28, 2013 Initial release
- June 23, 2013 Price decrease: $89.99 -> $44.99
- June 24, 2013 Price increase: $44.99 -> $89.99
- June 28, 2013 Price decrease: $89.99 -> $44.99
- July 01, 2013 Price increase: $44.99 -> $89.99
- July 22, 2013 New version 1.1
- November 29, 2013 Price decrease: $89.99 -> $49.99
- December 06, 2013 Price increase: $49.99 -> $59.99
- December 13, 2013 Price increase: $59.99 -> $69.99
- December 20, 2013 Price decrease: $69.99 -> $49.99
- January 02, 2014 Price increase: $49.99 -> $89.99
- August 28, 2014 Price decrease: $89.99 -> $44.99
- September 08, 2014 Price increase: $44.99 -> $89.99
- January 11, 2015 Price decrease: $89.99 -> $79.99
- December 29, 2015 New version 3.59.429