• Minor bugfixes
Welcome to the digital edition of Banipal Magazine of Modern Arab Literature. Discover an ever-open window on contemporary Arab literature and browse more and more digital back issues. Founded in 1998, Banipal is an internationally respected open forum for emerging and established Arab authors – in English translation, free of cultural stereotypes.
Banipal’s three issues a year present the latest fiction and poetry in English translation, include book reviews, interviews with authors and, in addition, feature Guest Literature from a non-Arab country.
“The most open, daring, democratic and attentive magazine of modern Arabic literature” – Anton Shammas
“Not merely a bridge between two cultures but . . . a laboratory that illuminates the styles of modern Arabic writings” – Adonis
“A unique voice in the literary world” – Nick March, The National
“Its past issues constitute an incomparable archive” – Robert Irwin
The iPad/iPhone edition brings you selected pages from the latest issue as soon as it is available. You can subscribe within the application for full access, which brings you every page of the issue and a searchable archive back to February 2010. Issues are not sold individually - for the duration of your subscription you have access to every issue in this archive.
During your subscription you can sync back issues to your device. These will remain in place if your subscription expires, unless your device removes them (for example when running low on disk space). Re-downloading issues requires a current subscription.
• Swipe or tap the page edges to flip to next/previous page.
• Use the animated thumbnail view to flick through the pages.
• Pinch or double-tap pages to zoom.
• Switch between single or double-page view (iPad only).
• Search the current issue or (paid-only) the archive.
• Tap any page links to web sites, email addresses, phone numbers or maps.
• Tap contents-page links to jump to a particular article.
• Sync back issues to your device for offline reading (requires wi-fi).
• Network connection required otherwise.
We recommend first running the app within a wi-fi area so it can sync the latest issue to your device - after that you can use it anywhere. Subscribers will receive new issues automatically via Newsstand.
Subscriptions are available within the app at the following prices:
In addition, please note the following standard features of auto-renewable iTunes subscriptions:
• Your payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase.
• Subscriptions will renew automatically unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period.
• Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period.
• You can manage your subscriptions and turn off auto-renewal by going to your Account Settings in iTunes after purchase.
• No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period.
and our terms of service here:
- November 21, 2012 Initial release
- November 30, 2012 New version 6.5
- February 24, 2013 New version 6.6
- May 25, 2013 New version 7.0
- August 01, 2013 New version 7.2
- September 17, 2013 New version 7.3.0
- October 23, 2013 New version 7.4.1
- June 26, 2014 New version 7.6.3
- October 05, 2014 New version 8.0.0
- December 12, 2014 New version 8.2.4
- March 28, 2015 New version 8.3.0