Skylight provides you with accurate sunrise, sunset, moonrise, and moonset times, anywhere in the world. Based on the popular Sol Dashboard widget, Skylight features a simple but powerful 24-hour clock, beautiful moon phase images, and a comprehensive database of cities and towns around the world. On iPhone 5, Skylight also depicts Earth's angle relative to the Sun.
Skylight's 24-hour clock is intuitive and easy to read. The top of the clock is noon, and the bottom is midnight. Bands of color around the clock show periods of daylight (light blue), nighttime (dark blue), and twilight (medium blue). A thin white arc shows when the moon is visible.
Skylight has a practically infinite number of uses. Here are just a few examples:
• Plan walks, runs, and hikes
• Schedule photography to take full advantage of the "golden hour"
• Stay connected to places far afield
• Find the best time for stargazing (with the astronomical twilight setting)
• Catch that perfect sunset, right on time
• Keep religious observances
• For pilots, log day and night flight time more easily
• For radio operators, find optimal times for "moon bounce" transmissions
Here are a few more of Skylight's stand-out features:
• Location-aware so you can get rise and set times quickly no matter where you are
• Real support for the larger screen on iPhone 5, in addition to full support for other devices
• Built-in database means Skylight is fully functional even when no data connection is available
For news and updates, follow @skylightapp on Twitter.
Moon image by Thomas Bresson, licensed under CC BY 2.0.
- November 19, 2012 Initial release