We are busy making improvements to PinYinPal and are releasing this update for your continued learning and fun.
This update is required for all v1.0.2 players. When you make the update, all unfinished games will be lost. Sorry about that!
- Updated dictionary: there are 3211 pinyins available now as well as translations to new languages!
- Added selection and speech for Traditional / Simplified Chinese
- Added selection and speech for English / French / German / Spanish / Italian definitions
- Improved social sharing for Facebook and Twitter
- Added end of game notices
- Added a Replay option
- Added a first-time player tutorial
- Updated the Help section
- Added confirmation for word play
- Added feedback ability so you can let us know how to continue improving the game
- Updated color schemes
- Fixed random button issues
- Fixed random words showing up
- Misc. bug fixing and improvements
App DescriptionLearning Chinese is no longer ridiculously complicated. PinYinPal teaches players to read,
recognize, and define Mandarin characters in a fun, simple game.
Pinyin uses letters of the alphabet to spell out traditional Mandarin characters. Challenge your
friends to a match by strategically placing your tiles on the board and score the most points. Get
more points for correctly identifying the character and definition of the word you just played.
(And lose points if you don’t!) Helpful tools, such as an interactive dictionary, enable you to be a
competitive opponent from the first move without any previous knowledge of Mandarin.
It’s an exciting game for both native and novice speakers. Over 1 billion people speak and read
Mandarin Chinese. Aren’t you ready to be one of them?
- Truly free app. Ad-free, no gimmicks, no in-app purchases.
- View the Mandarin characters during gameplay with the tap of a button.
- Chat with friends in Chinese characters or in English.
- Word Finder feature helps you find your next word based on the letters you have in your queue.
- Dictionary feature lets you find the meaning of the word you or your opponent played, look up the Pinyin translation for Chinese into English, and hear the pronunciation of each word.
- Find friends to challenge on Facebook. Share your high scores with all of your
Available for the iPad. Coming soon to the iPhone.
About the developer and founder of Chinese Character a Day Foundation:
Chinese Character a Day Foundation is dedicated to teaching Mandarin Chinese to anyone who wishes to learn. It was founded by Dr. Adeline Mah, a physician and writer. Born in China, Dr. Mah lives in California with her husband, Professor Robert Mah, a microbiologist. In 1997, she wrote her memoir Falling Leaves which became an international best-seller. To bridge the gap between East and West, she established her foundation with her book proceeds. Conceived in the Mahs’ living room, PinyinPal was first played on a sheet of paper with cardboard cut-outs as letter-tiles.
February 20, 2013 New version 1.0.3
January 17, 2013 New version 1.0.2
November 30, -0001 Initial Release