App DescriptionPractical English Usage is a world bestseller and a vital reference tool that helps teachers and higher-level learners with common language problems in English. It is now available as an app, making it quicker and easier to look up the 600+ entries. The app has been developed by Oxford University Press, the world’s most authoritative English-language reference publisher, working together with Paragon Software Group, a leading software developer for mobile devices.
Practical English Usage provides instant answers to questions about the English language which both native and non-native speakers of English find difficult to explain: When do we use a past tense with a future meaning? When and why do English speakers use 'the'? Do I say 'big', 'large', or 'great'? What exactly is the difference between 'close' and 'shut'? How do I read out an email address?
The Practical English Usage app:
• Deals with spoken and written grammar, vocabulary, spelling, pronunciation, and differences between formal and informal language.
• Contains over 600 indexed entries covering all the important problems for learners of English.
• Offers clear, simple explanations with corpus-based examples.
• Includes notes on background topics such as letters and emails, politeness, standardisation and dialect grammar, the meaning of 'correctness', differences between spoken and written English, and changes in English.
• Covers differences between British and American English.
• Access entries through the very complete Index, either by scrolling through the list or by keying in the language point you want to look up – e.g. future, conditionals, 'have'.
• Browse through the thematically-organised Contents Overview and the A-Z list of entries. Both of these can also be searched.
• Navigate immediately between related entries through the many cross-references.
• Create your own list of favourite entries.
• Go to ‘History’ to view your recent searches.
You can use the Practical English Usage app together with the Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary app (version 3.10 or later) to look up words. Just tap on a word in Practical English Usage to bring up the dictionary entry. If you have an earlier version of the dictionary you can update it free of charge.
April 07, 2013 Price Decrease: $39.99 -> $19.99
January 31, 2013 New version 1.02
December 20, 2012 Price Decrease: $39.99 -> $29.99
December 16, 2012 New version 1.01
November 04, 2012 Initial Release