Minor bug fixes and improvements
The ultimate edition of the story that inspired an internationally successful stage play and celebrated motion picture by Steven Spielberg. War Horse, by children's author Michael Morpurgo, is now enriched for iPad by a musical performance, audiobook, interactive timeline and expert interviews.
At the beginning of World War I, Albert sees his beloved horse, Joey, sold to the cavalry and shipped to France. Too young to join the Army, Albert nevertheless sets out to find his friend, who has been thrust into fighting on both sides of the frontline. Charging through gunfire and hauling ambulances through mud, Joey's loyalty and gentle spirit never waver. This is a story of bravery, kindness and friendship surviving in the toughest times.
WATCH THE PERFORMANCE
Watch the author bring the characters to life in an 80-minute video performance of the story, accompanied by folk musicians. Join in the singing by following the synchronised script, or immerse yourself in the show with a full-screen view.
AN AMAZING INTERACTIVE TIMELINE
Explore the real stories behind War Horse with a timeline set alongside the beautifully illustrated novel. The timeline presents the key events of the war, including America's decisive involvement in 1917, and brings you closer than ever to the life of a World War I soldier – through images, rotatable objects, video, letters, and dramatically narrated quotes and poems.
INVESTIGATE THE LIFE OF A SOLDIER
What was it like in the trenches? What did the soldiers wear? Why are tanks called tanks? The author and six experts are on hand to give video insights about life in the trenches, and the inspiration for the book. Many of the interviews and photographs were captured in the English village of Iddesleigh, where the novel begins and ends.
•Beautiful watercolour illustrations by François Place
•An unabridged audiobook read by the author
•A live performance of the story by the author with two renowned British folk musicians
•Synchronised sentence-by-sentence highlighting in the audiobook and performance
•A richly-interactive timeline of WWI with narrated quotes, videos and 250 images
•Carefully curated thematic filtering, with events shown on a world map
•Thirty-five video interviews with the author, historians and other experts enhanced with related media
•Twenty stunning 3D rotations of WWI objects
•AirPlay allows the performance to be streamed full screen via AppleTV
About the author:
Michael Morpurgo is a former Children’s Laureate who runs a children’s charity at his farm in Devon. He has written over one hundred books, of which War Horse is the best-loved.
War Horse is created by Touchpress, the people behind the best-selling iPad titles The Elements and Barefoot World Atlas. The title is produced and published in partnership with Egmont, publishers of War Horse, and Illuminations, makers of outstanding films about the arts.
- November 08, 2012 Initial release
- November 23, 2012 Price decrease: $13.99 -> $9.99
- November 27, 2012 Price increase: $9.99 -> $13.99
- December 07, 2012 Price decrease: $13.99 -> $6.99
- December 14, 2012 New version 1.0.2
- May 10, 2013 Price decrease: $6.99 -> $2.99
- May 31, 2013 Price increase: $2.99 -> $6.99
- July 12, 2013 Price decrease: $6.99 -> $1.99
- July 21, 2013 Price increase: $1.99 -> $6.99
- October 09, 2013 New version 1.0.3
- November 10, 2013 Price decrease: $6.99 -> FREE!
- November 12, 2013 Price increase: FREE! -> $6.99
- November 21, 2013 New version 1.0.4
- November 29, 2013 Price decrease: $6.99 -> $4.99
- November 30, 2013 Price increase: $4.99 -> $6.99
- July 26, 2015 Price decrease: $6.99 -> $2.99
- August 02, 2015 Price increase: $2.99 -> $6.99
- November 28, 2015 Price decrease: $6.99 -> $2.99
- December 01, 2015 Price increase: $2.99 -> $6.99
- November 06, 2016 New version 1.0.5