- Bug fixes
- Text updates
- Updated for new SDK
In logic and rhetoric, a fallacy is usually an improper argumentation in reasoning often resulting in a misconception or presumption. Literally, a fallacy is "an error in reasoning that renders an argument logically invalid". By accident or design, fallacies may exploit emotional triggers in the listener or participant (appeal to emotion), or take advantage of social relationships between people (e.g. argument from authority). Fallacious arguments are often structured using rhetorical patterns that obscure any logical argument.
Though an argument is not "logically valid", it is not necessarily the case that the conclusion is incorrect. It simply means that the conclusion cannot logically be arrived at using that argument.
Though often used unintentionally, fallacies can be used purposefully to win arguments regardless of the merits. Among such devices, discussed in more detail below, are: "ignoring the question" to divert argument to unrelated issues using a red herring, making the argument personal (argumentum ad hominem) and discrediting the opposition's character, "begging the question" (petitio principi), the use of the non-sequitur, false cause and effect (post hoc ergo propter hoc), bandwagoning (everyone says so), the "false dilemma" or "either-or fallacy" in which the situation is oversimplified, "card-stacking" or selective use of facts, and "false analogy". Another common device is the "false generalization", an abstraction of the argument that shifts discussion to platitudes where the facts of the matter are lost. There are many, many more tricks to divert attention from careful exploration of a subject.
Top Features Include:
- Over 100 fallacies described and named.
- Detail view with examples and explanations.
- Lovely animated graphics
- Swipe to navigate
- Browse a full list
- Full Text Search!
- Fully retina compatible for iPhone, iPhone 5 and the new iPad
- Server push architecture ensures you continue to see new fallacies as they are reported.
- Application updates silently in the background to ensure you can use it immediately.
- Works either offline or online.
- Use swipe gestures or the UI, your choice.
- Auto updating web tab
- A fully universal application that can be used on iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad. No need to purchase a separate HD/XL application for your iPad.
- On the iPad the application will work in all orientations. You can hold it any way you like and it will keep up.
- Developed by an experienced programmer. No crashing, memory leak problems, or other annoying experiences.
- A dedicated developer who will add more features and keep improving the application. I love to get suggestions of features.
- A low price. Why pay more money for lesser apps?
- June 12, 2014 Initial release
- July 27, 2014 New version 10.0
- October 27, 2014 New version 11.0
- January 27, 2015 Price decrease: $0.99 -> FREE!
- February 03, 2015 New version 11.1
- February 03, 2015 Price increase: FREE! -> $0.99
- October 21, 2015 New version 12.0