What's New- Fixed device rotation issue that occurred under iOS7.
- Optimized support for iPhone 5.
- Added the ability to export student progress reports (accessed from the email button on the Home menu).
- Added support for separate beginning /r/ sound and vowel controlled 'r' sounds.
- Improved some of the graphics.
- Improved the behavior of the backspace key to initially skip over correct letters.
- Keyboard now defaults to QWERTY (can be changed back to alphabetical in the settings menu).
- The app now prompts the user to adjust the app settings to their liking immediately upon creating a new user account.
- Other minor improvements and bug fixes.
Note : All syllable break issues were fixed in an update shortly after the initial app release.
Thank you everyone that took the time to send us your feedback. It has allowed us to keep improving Simplex Spelling.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any suggestions and if you like Simplex Spelling please leave a rating to let others know how well Simplex Spelling worked for you (you can also email us, or leave a rating directly through the Simplex Spelling app by clicking on the info button on the top navigation bar of the home screen ).
App Description- "Simplex Spelling has a feedback method that rivals anything a teacher can do in the classroom. " - Carolina Nugent, Director of Education KinderTown.
- "No other literacy apps are this comprehensive." - Teachers With Apps
- "WOW!!!! I found my miracle app" - Speech Language Neighborhood
- Academics' Choice Award
Simplex Spelling is one of the best ways to improve English spelling and reading skills. Using a powerful combination of phonics lessons, spelling/word patterns, syllabication, our unique “reverse phonics” (phonics encoding) approach and contextually relevant spelling rules.
Teaching over a year of spelling curriculum with more than 650 high frequency words divided into 54 lists that are organized by spelling patterns and difficulty levels. Each of the 54 lists comes with a lesson that teaches one of the basic building blocks of spelling in the English language. These basic building blocks include syllables, sounds, spelling rules and some of the more advanced English phonograms.
Our spelling lists focus on some of the highest frequency words in the English language to help students establish a base foundation of literacy and confidence with spelling and reading.
Students learn a new concept for each lesson building on the skills learned from previous lessons and those covered in Simplex Spelling Phonics 1. Simplex Spelling Phonics 2 guides the student and acts as a personal spelling coach with every word, while teaching students "how to spell" English words. Our “reverse phonics” hint feature breaks each word down into individual phonemes to improve phonemic awareness, a critical skill in achieving literacy.
One of the main areas of focus in Simplex Spelling Phonics 2 is on syllables and how they affect the way we speak, read and spell. Every word is broken down into its syllables both visually and auditorily to help students build phonological awareness skills. Many lessons teach the concepts of open and closed syllables, compound words, the rules governing vowels in syllables and syllable stresses. The stress on each syllable is subtly conveyed with every word to help students understand how the stress on a syllable affects the way words are pronounced and spelled. The schwa sound and its occurrence in English words is also taught.
Recommended age 6+
Note: You can not create your own spelling lists.
- Over 650 high frequency spelling words to help build literacy.
- Words are spoken and used in a sentence to establish context and improve vocabulary.
- Introductory spelling list seamlessly leads a student through all of the application’s features.
- 54 instructional lessons teach syllables, phonics, phonograms, and spelling rules.
- A full “reverse phonics” approach that builds phonemic awareness.
- Contextually relevant spelling rule hints that help explain “how to spell” English words.
- Letter by letter feedback system provides feedback while the student is in the process of spelling each word.
- Support for 40 user accounts.
- Export and email student progress reports.
- Remembers each user’s progress in every list.
- User stats screen track progress with every word.
- Ability to set the number of times a word must be spelled correctly to become mastered.
- Supports upper and lower case letters.
- Supports alphabetic and QWERTY keyboard layouts.
- Supports US, UK and Canadian English spelling of words.
- Does not contain 3rd party ads
- Does not share any data
- Does not contain In-App purchases
- Does not link to social media
- Contains in app links to view a safe enclosed version of the developer's website for additional information, support and teaching tips.
- Contains link to developer email support and to rate the app.
COPPA Compliant http://www.pyxwise.com/privacypolicy.html
October 04, 2013 Price Decrease: $4.99 -> $0.99
September 26, 2013 New version 2.0.0
July 19, 2013 Price Decrease: $4.99 -> $1.99
June 06, 2013 Price Decrease: $4.99 -> $2.99
May 25, 2012 Initial Release