148Apps Review SummaryOur Rating: :: THE SAME, BUT DIFFERENT :: Read Our Full Review >>
War of Words Apocalypse might look like a rehash of an all-too-familiar favorite, but that's just on the surface. Go a little deeper and it becomes a rather hectic battle of cunning, luck, and of course spelling.
What's NewThe 4.1.1 update includes the following changes:
- Enhanced the base game scenery graphics
- Back by popular demand, you can now choose your own game background from your camera roll
- New feature: More | Remind Opponent. This will send your opponent an extra push notification asking them to make a move!
In the 4.1 update:
Welcome to the Jungle! The 4.1 update introduces the first expansion pack, Jungle of the Elements. This expansion raises the level cap to 16 and introduces the Fire, Rain, and Lightning tiles! Get ready for new mechanics featuring Water, Pirate Ships, and Sharks! Experience 16 brand new boards with beautiful jungle-themed scenery. Test your limits with 27 new achievements, and earn 7 new titles and 6 new avatars!
Jungle of the Elements is available for purchase in the Store. As long as you own the expansion, you can challenge other players using the expansion (and they don't need to own it).
Please note: in order to experience the new content in the expansion, you will need to already have filled up your experience bar at level 12.
This update also adds:
- New option: Preferred Tile Color. You can use this to always appear to yourself as your preferred color. (Other players may see you as a different color.)
- Fixed an issue that caused placing tiles to be extremely slow on certain boards
- iPhone 4 players: In order to greatly enhance your experience, Black Holes and Clouds will no longer animate
- Additional bug fixes and performance improvements
App DescriptionGet ready for the ultimate word battle! An exciting blend of turn-based strategy and crossword game, War of Words Apocalypse pits you against up to 3 other players for an all-out word destruction brawl!
EVERYONE LOVES THE WAR OF WORDS SERIES!
"In comparison to War of Words, [those other word games] are so innocent." —TiPb
"War of Words adds a welcome cut-throat edge to more classic word games... and is damn fun to play as a result." —What's On iPhone
"This game threw all my prejudices about crossword puzzles out the window!" —AppMyWorld
"If you like crossword battle games and the letters on your board have worn away with use, then I suggest you give this game a try and see if the aggressive gameplay helps to refresh a classic board game." —Smokin' Apps
"Thankfully a spelling game where the favor tends to lean on my [aggressive] side." —App Store Arcade
THE MOST ACTION-PACKED WORD GAME EVER DEVISED
War of Words Apocalypse takes your standard online crossword game and amplifies it with Bombs, Poisons, Blasters, Black Holes, Portals, Nuclear Bombs, and more! Level your character up, unlocking new actions and boards. Experience epic four player games, customize your character with unique titles and avatars, or try out Nightmare Mode for an extra challenge! Grab an extra boost anytime by calling in the Reserves!
BETTER THAN LETTERS — WAR OF WORDS INTRODUCES ACTION TILES
- Multiplier Tiles multiply scoring of letters and words
- Star Tiles let players play a word anywhere
- Bomb Tiles destroy letter tiles in a square
- Shield Tiles protect areas from opponents
- Titanium Tiles are indestructible, serving to block other actions
- Extra Turn Tiles allow players to play two turns in a row
- Poison Tiles poison players over several turns
- Medic Tiles grant points to players over several turns
- Blaster Tiles destroy letters in a straight line across the board
- Black Hole Tiles grow to a large size, destroying everything in their path
- Portal Tiles let you warp part of your word to an arbitrary place on the board
- Nuclear Bomb Tiles destroy the entire board and upgrade all the multipliers on the board
TONS OF OTHER FEATURES
- 20 different board layouts
- Titles and Avatars
- Leaderboards and Achievements
- Integrates with your Game Center friend list
- Beautiful retina graphics for the new iPad
- Support for up to four players in a single match
- Combat Log lets you keep track of everything that happened during each turn
- Head-to-Head Statistics
- Skill-based matchmaking
- Play online with up to 50 friends at once, or play at home with friends using Pass and Play
- Online chat
- Devices supported: iPhone 3GS and up, iPod Touch 3rd Generation (32 GB or higher) and up, any iPad
- Requires iOS 5.1 or higher
- A Game Center account is required to play with friends
- Requires an Internet connection
February 15, 2013 New version 4.1.1
January 26, 2013 New version 4.1
November 09, 2012 New version 4.0.4
September 05, 2012 New version 4.0.3
August 20, 2012 New version 4.0.2
July 18, 2012 New version 4.0.1
November 30, -0001 Initial Release