iOS 8 support
Teach your children the joys of learning algebra with Hands-On Equations 1 – the algebra app for children as young as eight!
“...ingenious app...makes it exceptionally easy to learn algebra..."- Dr. Alex Davidovic, former International Chess Master
Algebra can be a tricky subject to master but with the help of Hands-On Equations 1, equations like 4x+2=3x+9 and 2(x+4)+x=x+12 become child’s play!
The app takes advantage of the iPad’s and iPhone's visual and touch features to demystify complex algebraic concepts.
The original Hands-On Equations program, using physical game pieces, has already helped more than a million students gain confidence with algebra. Now that same, proven method is available virtually in the palm of your hand.
In Lesson 1, the student mentally tries to figure out the value of the pawn that makes both sides balance by using reasoning or a guess-and-check strategy. The game pieces do not move in this first lesson.
In Lesson 2, the student places the game pieces unto the image of the balance scale to represent both sides of the abstract equation.
In Lesson 3, the student uses "legal moves" with the pawns to simplify and solve for the unknown X.
In Lesson 4,the student learns to use legal moves with the cubes.
A video introduction is provided for each lesson. (See sample video at http://bit.ly/1bu2Zp7.) Each video introduction is followed by two examples and ten exercises.
Level I of Hands-On Equations consists of six lessons and one review lesson. The student learns to solve equations such as 8+2x+3-x=2x+1 and 2(2x+1)=3x+8. There are more than 80 equations for the student to enjoy and solve!
See a quick overview of this app at:
Hands-On Equations is the ideal first introduction to algebra for elementary and middle school students. Not only will these students have FUN and be fascinated with the program, their sense of self-esteem will be dramatically enhanced as they experience success with sophisticated looking algebraic equations.
Older students who need help with algebra will also benefit from Hands-On Equations. These students may, for the first time, understand key concepts of algebra that have held them back.
Beginning with version 2.0, the app will keep track of the problems completed by several students.
To see a video of a 10-year old solving 4+3x-2x+x=x+5 on the app, go to
About the inventor: Dr. Henry Borenson has taught mathematics to inner-city low achieving students as well as to Math Olympiad students at the Stuyvesant High School in New York City. After receiving a patent for Hands-On Equations, he founded Borenson and Associates to disseminate the Hands-On Equations program and the Making Algebra Child's Play workshop for teachers.
More information on Hands-On Equations can be found at www.borenson.com.
- May 28, 2015 Price increase: $3.99 -> $4.99
- May 04, 2015 Price decrease: $4.99 -> $3.99
- March 20, 2015 Price increase: $2.99 -> $4.99
- February 26, 2015 New version 3.7
- December 21, 2014 Price increase: FREE! -> $2.99
- December 18, 2014 Price decrease: $2.99 -> FREE!
- September 28, 2014 New version 3.6
- April 29, 2014 New version 3.5
- April 24, 2014 Price decrease: $3.99 -> $2.99
- February 18, 2014 Price decrease: $4.99 -> $3.99
- January 15, 2014 Price increase: FREE! -> $4.99
- January 13, 2014 Price decrease: $4.99 -> FREE!
- November 20, 2013 New version 3.4
- October 31, 2013 New version 3.3
- September 20, 2013 New version 3.2
- August 19, 2013 New version 3.1
- August 12, 2013 Price increase: FREE! -> $4.99
- August 10, 2013 Price decrease: $4.99 -> FREE!
- June 23, 2013 New version 3.0
- February 09, 2013 New version 2.2
- January 28, 2013 New version 2.1
- January 20, 2013 Price increase: FREE! -> $4.99
- January 18, 2013 Price decrease: $4.99 -> FREE!
- December 03, 2012 New version 2.0
- October 31, 2012 New version 1.9
- October 18, 2012 New version 1.8
- September 29, 2012 New version 1.7
- September 14, 2012 New version 1.6
- July 31, 2012 New version 1.5
- July 06, 2012 New version 1.4
- April 14, 2012 New version 1.3
- April 03, 2012 New version 1.2
- March 23, 2012 New version 1.1
- March 05, 2012 Price decrease: $14.99 -> $4.99
- March 05, 2012 Initial release