It’s been a long time in the oven. Almost as long as Jake’s lasagna. (Jake likes it crunchy.)
Imagine every transit line in every city, condensed into one, single, beautiful, curvy, map. Millions of stops, thousands of lines, hundreds of agencies, and all orchestrated by one brilliant cartographer: Anton. Say hello to Transit Maps: the world’s most titillating transit map.
It’s our most highly-requested feature. It’s also been one of the hardest to create. You can imagine how tricky it is, piecing a transit map together, city by city, agency by agency, stop by stop, without it turning into a hairy mess. Moreover, we don’t hand-draw anything… every map is generated automatically using algorithms developed through years of research. Yet we still stay true to your city’s roots: every color you see corresponds to your agency’s color scheme. And yes, before you ask: Transit Maps are customizable! You can delete transit modes like “commuter rail” or “streetcar” that you never use from your map. (NYC’ers: delight in killing off New Jersey Transit once and for all).
This feature works in almost every city (try searching to see!). But man... was it ever hard to implement. Seriously. Ask Anton:
“Yes. It was hard to implement.”
At a glance, you can immediately understand your transit system: see where lines go, where you are in relation to them, and where each transit line intersects. It’s beautiful. Like a midsummer’s night dream. A tropical sunset. Or a lasagna that doesn’t taste like charred tires.
Keep in mind that the feature is new, so we’ll be fixing bugs and improving on it in subsequent releases. That’s right, PDF + paper maps: you have a few months to live. Make the most of it ;)
-Toronto joins our bikesharing fam: you can now unlock + pay for Bike Share Toronto bikes
-San Francisco (hey, you!) we now support PresidiGo shuttles
-New Yorkers, we fixed your MTA service alert issues so now you can forghedaboudit
-Delaware: the first American colony to Brexit from Britain… welcome to the Transit Union!
-Car2go’ers experiencing problems: log-out/log-in should solve your issues. Sorrrrry.
-Sam did Jake’s dishes: now rate us five stars to help us find the vacuum in Jake’s closet!
Never miss your bus again. Open up the app and boom: upcoming departure times for all nearby transit lines are right there, displayed in big text and bright colors. Plan your trip, set reminders, and get notified about disruptions. Or maybe public transport isn't cooperating? Don't fret: you can easily request an Uber, book a car2go, or see where the closest bike-share station is.
Transit works in 100+ cities across North America and Europe (see US list below). And we work on the Apple Watch too, if that tickles your fancy.
- Know when your next subway or bus is arriving with real-time predictions.*
- Plan A-to-B trips with ease.
- See exactly where your transit vehicle is on the map in real-time.*
- View schedules and route itineraries. Even offline.
- Locate bike share stations including how many bikes / docks are available.
- Find nearby car2go's and easily book a vehicle.
- Check real-time ETAs for the closest Uber, and request a ride with two taps.
- Browse real-time service advisories, and subscribe to push notifications for disruptions that may affect your commute (in select cities).
- NEW: Schedule alarms and get reminders before your bus or train arrives.
- NEW: Enable stop announcements and get notified when you're approaching your stop.
*wherever real-time info is available from transit agencies.
****continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
“Blows Google Maps out of the water.”
“Love this so much I might sell my car.”
"So thankful, you're the reason I'm not afraid to use the bus"
"Truly ingenious work here. Honestly, these guys should be in charge of actual public transportation itself."
"Probably the best thing on my phone, no joke."
“This app makes me WANT to ride the bus"
FANCY PEOPLE LIKE US
**Apple’s Editors Choice**
**New York City MTA App Quest Winner**
**Elected Official App of the Toronto Transit Commission**
**World Class Design: Featured in Apple's Human Design Guidelines**
**Selected as a 'Killer App' by the Wall Street Journal**
**You won't realize how much time you can save planning until you use this app - LA Times**
Baltimore (MTA*, RTA)
Boston (MBTA*, Massport, MetroWest RTA, Brockton Area Transit (BAT), Lowell RTA, Plymouth & Brockton S. R. Co., CATA)
Chicago (CTA*, Pace, Metra, NICTD)
Hartford (CTTransit, CTFastrak*)
Los Angeles (Metro*, OCTA*, Metrolink, LADOT*, Omnitrans, RTA, Burbank Bus, Torrance Transit Foothill Transit*, Big Blue Bus*, Beeline*)
Miami (MDT, BCT, Palm Tran*, Tri-Rail)
New York City (NYC Subway*, MTA Buses*, LIRR*, Metro-North*, NJ Transit*, PATH, SI Ferry, NICE*, Bee-Line, RI Tram, NY Waterway, AirTrain, CTTransit, CTFastrak*)
Philadelphia (SEPTA*, NJ Transit*, PATCO)
Salt Lake City*
San Diego (MTS, NCTD*)
San Francisco (BART*, MUNI*, Caltrain*, AC Transit*, VTA*, County Connection*, Golden Gate Transit, SamTrans, Sonoma County Transit, Healdsburg Transit, Cloverdale Transit, Marin Transit)
Seattle (Metro Transit*, City of Seattle*, King County Marine Division, Sound Transit*, Pierce Transit, Kitsap Tours, Everett Transit)
Washington DC (DC Metro / Bus*, DC Circulator*, Ride On*, Arlington Transit*, Fairfax Connector, MTA, VRE*, PRTC)
* Uses real-time predictions & vehicle locations for some or all routes.
Transit App also works in 50+ other cities around the world. View select cities below and the full list at transitapp.com
- September 20, 2012 Initial release
- September 26, 2012 New version 1.2.1
- October 04, 2012 New version 1.2.2
- November 02, 2012 New version 1.2.3
- November 12, 2012 New version 1.2.4
- December 18, 2012 New version 1.5
- December 19, 2012 New version 1.5.1
- January 05, 2013 New version 1.5.2
- February 01, 2013 New version 1.5.3
- March 06, 2013 New version 1.5.4
- May 28, 2013 New version 2.0
- May 31, 2013 New version 2.0.1
- June 11, 2013 New version 2.0.2
- June 24, 2013 New version 2.0.3
- July 12, 2013 New version 2.0.4
- July 19, 2013 New version 2.0.5
- September 11, 2013 New version 2.0.6
- March 21, 2014 New version 3.0
- March 21, 2014 New version 3.0.1
- March 25, 2014 New version 3.0.2
- April 03, 2014 New version 3.0.3
- April 08, 2014 New version 3.0.4
- April 17, 2014 New version 3.0.5
- July 12, 2014 New version 3.1.1
- July 28, 2014 New version 3.1.2
- September 07, 2014 New version 3.1.3
- October 01, 2014 New version 3.2
- October 19, 2014 New version 3.2.1
- November 03, 2014 New version 3.2.2
- November 26, 2014 New version 3.3
- December 08, 2014 New version 3.3.1
- January 29, 2015 New version 3.4
- February 06, 2015 New version 3.4.1
- February 14, 2015 New version 3.4.2
- March 28, 2015 New version 3.4.3
- April 27, 2015 New version 3.5.1
- May 04, 2015 New version 3.5.2
- June 04, 2015 New version 3.6
- July 01, 2015 New version 3.6.1
- July 15, 2015 New version 3.7
- July 29, 2015 New version 3.7.1
- September 22, 2015 New version 3.8
- October 01, 2015 New version 3.8.1
- October 19, 2015 New version 3.8.2
- November 05, 2015 New version 3.8.3
- January 06, 2016 New version 3.9
- January 10, 2016 New version 3.9.1
- January 29, 2016 New version 3.9.2
- February 10, 2016 New version 3.9.3
- July 03, 2016 New version 3.11.3
- July 27, 2016 New version 3.12